Smile in Rim

4 replies to this topic
  • Coastie3202

Posted April 15, 2008 - 01:24 PM

I noticed that my front rim has a slight smile. That is what I call a bend that is straight in, not lateral. You can't really notice the smile until you get the front end off the floor and spin the tire, then it becomes obvious. The smile is not large enough to feel when riding. It is obvious that something was hit, straight on, and caused the smile.

Do you think this can be removed by smacking the rim with a rubber mallet? Should I loosen the spokes in the area first? :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2008 - 01:33 PM

I don't think so, no.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coastie3202

Posted April 15, 2008 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Gray. Do you think running the rim as is will adversly effect the life of the wheel bearings, steering head bearings, etc? Like I said, the smile is not large enough to feel when you are riding offroad. It may be on the pavement, but I don't ride on the pavement. So.......

• USED YZ426F

Posted April 15, 2008 - 02:31 PM

How deep is it dented? My manual says that the radial and lateral runout cannot exceed 2mm, which is about 1/12". If you are 1/16" or less, you are probably alright. If you are 1/8" or more, then you probably need to get that looked at and consider replacing the rim.

I don't think that it will cause any trouble with the bearings, can't really imagine how as long as the wheel turns freely.

Depending on how big a dent you have, it could affect the ability of the tire bead to stay seated on the wheel, or cause instability at speed.

But the way you describe it, you may not have something that requires immeditate action to fix.

• sparkyz

Posted April 15, 2008 - 03:02 PM

There are places that do repair them if you don't want to buy a new one. I'm not sure of anything around you but here in Denver we have Woody's wheel works http://www.woodyswhe...com/about.shtml
that you could possiblly send your wheel or rim (if you can lace and true yourself) and get it repaired.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.