1999 WR400 F - ok deal?

9 replies to this topic
  • ktisdall

Posted April 15, 2008 - 11:30 AM

I am looking onto a local 1999 WR400F selling for $2600. It is plated in NY state and has the baja designs kit with signals, etc.

===============
1999 Yamaha WR400 FL Street Legal with Baja Kit. Excel Rims, Devol Aluminum Radiator Guards. Have Clear Street legal N.Y. title with no liens, Good cond. White Brothers E-Series Exhaust, skid plate, gripper seat, Brand New 39 MM keihin carburetor cost $975. Serious inquiries only please, no deliveries must pick up,$2,600 Firm Cash only
================

Does this sound like a reasonable price, given that the general condition is good and there are no major issues? Is the carb a good mod or is that something to beware of? Is thsi bike likely to be loud with that pipe on it?

--Kevin

• manther

Posted April 15, 2008 - 11:49 AM

I am looking onto a local 1999 WR400F selling for $2600. It is plated in NY state and has the baja designs kit with signals, etc.

===============
1999 Yamaha WR400 FL Street Legal with Baja Kit. Excel Rims, Devol Aluminum Radiator Guards. Have Clear Street legal N.Y. title with no liens, Good cond. White Brothers E-Series Exhaust, skid plate, gripper seat, Brand New 39 MM keihin carburetor cost $975. Serious inquiries only please, no deliveries must pick up,$2,600 Firm Cash only
================

Does this sound like a reasonable price, given that the general condition is good and there are no major issues? Is the carb a good mod or is that something to beware of? Is thsi bike likely to be loud with that pipe on it?

--Kevin

At first I thought $2600 is way over priced... But with after market rims, street legal, and a new carb might be worth it. depends how expensive bikes are up there. Bikes are everywhere in Texas so they are a little cheaper. I got my 99 wr400f for 1700, but it was stock, and not plated.

• bg10459

Posted April 15, 2008 - 12:02 PM

I think it's a little high for a 99. I've got an 03 WR450 that is street legal, skid plate, rad guards, hand guards, YZ pipe, JD jetting, fresh plastics, etc. and I don't think I would ask that much (it's not for sale anyway).
BTW, Excel rims came stock on my bike.
The cost of the new carb is irrelevant because the bike was worth next to nothing with his old broken carb or without a carb at all.
Although Yamahas are very reliable, IMO, a 9 year old 4 stroke is an expensive repair bill waiting to happen.

• ktisdall

Posted April 16, 2008 - 04:26 AM

IMO, a 9 year old 4 stroke is an expensive repair bill waiting to happen

This is an interesting comment. What should I be looking for on a bike this old, where the seller will be focused on all the accessory stuff, and the street legal thing?

--Kevin

• bg10459

Posted April 16, 2008 - 05:46 AM

This is an interesting comment. What should I be looking for on a bike this old, where the seller will be focused on all the accessory stuff, and the street legal thing?

--Kevin

Have the valves ever been checked or adjusted? What were the tolerances?
Has the timing chain ever been replaced?
Has the top end ever been done? or at least rings?
What was the oil change interval? What oil was used? What type of oil filter and what change interval on that? Air filter service interval?
Has the suspension linkage ever been serviced? Wheel bearings? Steeing head bearings? Shock bearings?
Fork oil ever been changed? What oil? Seals? Bushings? Is there any play in the fork legs?
I don't know how to check the bottom end without tearing the engine down. Maybe someone else has an idea. :thumbsup:

I don't think the answer to many of these questions is as important as how he answers them. If he flounders or says "I don't know" or "the dealer did it" he could be full of it, but if he can quickly answer theses questions, knows the dates everything was done and has a favorite oil (the oil doesn't really matter, it's just a question to see how he answers) he could be legit.
Still, the bike is 9 years old.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ShawnattheBird

Posted April 17, 2008 - 04:19 AM

You asked if it is loud with that pipe. The pipe is adjustable, there are plates on the end that are removeable. With all the plates in it is pretty loud. With less plates it is quieter but you sacrifice some top end. Still plenty of power for me though. :thumbsup:

• ktisdall

Posted April 17, 2008 - 04:52 AM

All very helpful info - thanks.

However I can't seem to get the guy to tell me if it's sold or available or answer any emails (no phone listed). I may move on from this one.

Thanks again

--Kevin

• matt4x4

Posted April 17, 2008 - 09:18 AM

I don't care how many plates you do or don't put in the WB E series - it's loud any which way you listen to it because it's a supertrap style exhaust that blows the sound out in every direction except back and down. The only way to quiet it down a little is to get the quiet insert, I managed to get the last insert (up here) from Parts Canada out of BC for mine about 4 weeks ago.
you can easily fab up a quiet insert though.
That bike sounds a lot like mine except mine's a 2000 - they're worth more up here than that (about 2800-3000 depending on condition), however I managed to get mine for 2400.

• dugabrams

Posted April 17, 2008 - 09:34 AM

" A repair bill waiting to happen" Maybe or maybe not, there are many 400's out there that run great everyday. It would be nice to upgrade to an '03 or newer model as E start in almost a must on a dual sport, but expect to pay $3,500 and up.

• matt4x4

Posted April 17, 2008 - 11:15 AM

E-start a must??? I really have to disagree since I find starting my bike to be a very easy procedure, hot or cold, one kick. IMO - E-start just adds weight that's not required.
I guess it's great for those who continually stall out in the knarly stuff, but my kicker's never let me down, where my wife's e-start has let her down.

Although, I believe that with auto decomp, kicking it to life is actually harder than with manual decomp because you've got the continual decompression until your engine start to come up to speed which would make it catch a lot harder, forcing you to kick a lot more.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.