New YZ450f Owner, few questions

6 replies to this topic
  • jfh01210

Posted April 15, 2008 - 10:02 AM

It's my first bike and I've been lurking here for while. The bike is already fast enough (if not too fast) so my goal is not to make it any faster, just to run like it's new.

It's an '05. I bought a Scotts Oil filter, but I just changed the oil with a paper filter so I'm gonna ride it a couple more times before I change the oil to install the new filter.

I bought a Regina ORN6 chain yesterday, but I'm at a loss which is the best sprockets to buy. I like the Renthal twinring (sounds like a good idea) but they're kinda pricey, what do you all think? The bike is bone stock and the original sprockets look fine to me but everyone says to replace them as a set. I don't mind spending the money but I wanna get the most durable ones. Also, what's the best tool to use to get that darned master clip off? I wanna be able to reuse it for a spare if I need to.

I'm also thinking about getting some radiator guard/braces, any ideas?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't race and don't intend to in the near future. I ride in Hawaii right now, mostly trail riding. So raceability isn't an issue. Thanks for all your help.

• Dirtbiker05

Posted April 15, 2008 - 10:10 AM

ironman sprockets have a good name...good durability. keep at the master link with a slot screwdriver and push the clip away and back from the pin.

• WGP

Posted April 15, 2008 - 10:48 AM

Most durable are Ironman :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRYANS01

Posted April 15, 2008 - 10:58 AM

best tool for the link is a large flat blade screw driver and the palm of your hand, smack it like a man it will come loose. Just make sure it doesnt go flying or you will be on your knees in the garage for a little while(speaking from experience on that one):thumbsup:

• usmcpaul

Posted April 15, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Check ebay for radiator guards. I got a set of Roosters for about $50 shipped. Fit and finish is very nice and the price is right.

As far as the master clip goes, I just used a screwdriver and tapped it until it was free. I also picked up the same chain as you, but my sprockets only have 3 or 4 rides on them so I left them alone.

• jfh01210

Posted April 15, 2008 - 11:15 AM

Have any of you had any issues with the bike overheating with the radiator guards. I know the bike is made to go really freakin fast, and I'm just not that fast yet, but I wanna be able to trail ride (it's rutted and muddy as hell here in Hawaii) so I'm kinda worried about overheating if I'm not going WFO.

• WGP

Posted April 15, 2008 - 11:47 AM

I had big overheating trouble on my 06YZ until I used the Zip-TY coolant.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.