HELP! cam change screw up!

22 replies to this topic
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted April 14, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Ok, i was just outside swapping the exhaust cam out for an 03 one.. When i pulled the cap off, the clip fell down through one of the holes, i could hear it rattle down. I am screwed arent i!! What do i do now? Tear down the motor?

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Remove the ignition side (left) crankcase cover and look for it there. It's probably sticking to the flywheel magnets. If not, it's still in the chain tunnel somewhere. No biggie.

• jayh300

Posted April 14, 2008 - 01:24 PM

that's where it was when i dropped mine.....stuck to the flywheel.

• todds924

Posted April 14, 2008 - 06:27 PM

get a flashlight and a magnet. At least its worth a try before pulling the cover and flywheel. You should be able to fish it out.

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted April 14, 2008 - 06:47 PM

I will try that grayracer, i just had installed the lighting stator just prior to taking out the cam, so it will only take a few minutes.. Hopefully it is there.. There is only one clip correct?

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2008 - 06:55 PM

get a flashlight and a magnet. At least its worth a try before pulling the cover and flywheel. You should be able to fish it out.

I don't think I own a magnet that could pull something off the flywheel. :confused: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted April 15, 2008 - 10:35 AM

The only thing is i am thinking, is that it fell down through the hole underneath the cam cap. Do you think it would still be near the flywheel? If not, could i get into the crank without taking they cylinder off? Like if i take out the clutch etc. Im going to look on the flywheel either tonight or tomorrow morning.

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2008 - 01:01 PM

It cannot have gotten into the crankcase directly from the top of the cylinder head, no matter what. If it went down that way, it's stuck in the chain, or on the flywheel.

• 1rkcooper

Posted April 15, 2008 - 07:27 PM

I have done this twice, get a flashlight and extendable magnet and fish it out. As long as it didn't get to the flywheel you should be able to carefully fish it out.
Good luck

• todds924

Posted April 15, 2008 - 07:40 PM

I don't think I own a magnet that could pull something off the flywheel. :ride: :thumbsup: :confused:

Are you telling me you've never had a clip fall down there before????:thumbsup: I have, and when it happens I can usually see it down there with a flashlight and extract it with a magnet. If i'm not so lucky, then the cover comes off. Its really no big deal either way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted April 15, 2008 - 07:41 PM

I don't think I own a magnet that could pull something off the flywheel. :confused: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You mean like those big electromagnets they use at the metal scrap yard????

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2008 - 09:22 PM

Are you telling me you've never had a clip fall down there before????:thumbsup:

Uh, well, yes, I am telling you that. Junior, however, ignored my advice and dropped one once. He got lucky and it hung up on the chain, so it was easy to fetch.

I've done a lot of other stuff stupid enough to match that, though, just not lately.

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted April 16, 2008 - 05:16 AM

Thanks guys! I found it right behind the stator!! Phew!

One more question, when installing the 03 cam, is the only way to time it by having 14 pins between the dots? And obviously with the motor at TDC? I followed the directions in the common threads, and the back of the cams look to be symmetrical..

• jbrooks26

Posted April 16, 2008 - 07:29 AM

That is correct, condensed but correct. You need to be certain the engine is at TDC, your intake cam timing mark lines up with the top of the head and the lobe on the intake cam should be facing away from center, then count your pins between the upper timing marks to be 14. If you meet all of these conditions then your timing will be correct. Don't forget to time your intake cam with the chain slack removed by pushing on the chain through the tensioner hole or you will be pulling your hair out trying to figure out why the timing is changing when you install the tensioner. Hope this helps,

Josh

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2008 - 09:15 AM

That is correct, condensed but correct. You need to be certain the engine is at TDC, your intake cam timing mark lines up with the top of the head and the lobe on the intake cam should be facing away from center, then count your pins between the upper timing marks to be 14. If you meet all of these conditions then your timing will be correct. Don't forget to time your intake cam with the chain slack removed by pushing on the chain through the tensioner hole or you will be pulling your hair out trying to figure out why the timing is changing when you install the tensioner. Hope this helps,

Josh

Perfectly right.

• tnl

Posted April 16, 2008 - 06:19 PM

I've done a lot of other stuff stupid enough to match that, though, just not lately.

How about dropping a # 27 torx driver bit into the case while removing the stator?

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted April 16, 2008 - 06:58 PM

Well i checked the timing with the tensioner in and it seems just fine.. This is how it looks..

Posted Image
Posted Image

• thumpyz

Posted April 16, 2008 - 07:20 PM

I am not exactly sure, but i think the cap needs to be tight before you set the timing, otherwise the cam could pull out of the head and you might not be dead on.

• tnl

Posted April 16, 2008 - 09:07 PM

I don't see the 2nd exhaust timing punch mark? As long as the cam cap cover is set flush it can be checked

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2008 - 10:28 PM

If that exhaust cam is for a YZ450, then the timing is correct. The 9:00 o'clock mark on a 450 cam cnnot be used to time it in a 426 head.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.