New 426 owner, questions

4 replies to this topic
  • Motox520

Posted April 14, 2008 - 11:45 AM

we just picked up a 2001 426 as a trade for a car. The bike seems to be in really nice shape. New oil, air filter is all clean and oiled up, and the airbox is spotless. Coolant looks real good too. I am a KTM guy, so the Yami's are a little new to me. I have the manual for it, how do you check/adjust the timing chain tension? I will also be doing the valves as well. But it starts on the first kick and has a ton of compression

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2008 - 12:24 PM

The timing chain tension is completely automatic on the YZF, and the tensioner is nearly foolproof. If you want to check it, put the engine against compression then take it forward up to TDC from there. It has to be on the compression stroke. Next remove only the center cap bolt from the tensioner (p. 4-21)(DON'T remove the tensioner), and insert a small screwdriver in the slot in the end of the center shaft (p. 4-24). Turn the shaft a half turn or so clockwise. You should feel spring tension, and it should turn smoothly. When you release it, it should snap back firmly to where it was. If it does that, it works.

Having said that, if the bike has never had the timing chain replaced, it's due. It's not a big, expensive job at all, and you can do it while you check/adjust the valves. Don't be too surprised if the valves don't need to be adjusted, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motox520

Posted April 14, 2008 - 02:07 PM

thanks for the info.

• USED YZ426F

Posted April 14, 2008 - 02:09 PM

You're gonna love that 426!

• BASSic

Posted April 14, 2008 - 05:08 PM

While you have the chain off, for ~$110 you can get a 03 YZ450 cam with the automatic compression release mechanism.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.