07 YZ450F True Torture Test

16 replies to this topic
  • YZ450Fahk

Posted April 14, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Here is a story that happened to me a couple weeks ago...

Its just getting warm here in the SE South Dakota / SW Minnesota area. My riding crew (brother and friend) and I were invited to the track that we usually ride at during the warm months. It was getting up to around 50 degrees that day (pretty warm for first part of April) making us eager to ride.

We got to the track and the owners son (who shall remain nameless) comes up to the truck and asks us how to change the oil filter on his 2007 YZ450F. Come to find out no one had never ever changed the oil filter all the time he has had the bike. He bought it new in the end of 2006! The story gets better! He has only changed his oil 2 times the whole time he has had the bike. He rides the bike ALOT; almost everyday since he has the track on his farm and he is home schooled.

We where amazed! The filter looked black, the oil looked like sludge. Later we found out that he still had the original air filter on the bike. It was never cleaned or oiled in all the time he has had it. The bike runs as strong as any 450 should and had never given him any mechanical problems.

This kid doesn't know anything about maintenance, but this story does have a bright spot! I am confident with my maintenance schedule my bike will last at least 20 years! :thumbsup:

I would never ever recommend anyone to do this to their bike, but it is a testament to how well YZ450Fs are made.

• Frank_z28

Posted April 14, 2008 - 11:11 AM

hehehe i wont feel guilty anymore when i do one more ride before changing oil
when my maintenance schedule is due

Posted April 14, 2008 - 11:26 AM

A friend of mine had let his son take his yz426 to the track and didn't think about it until his boy came back that when he changed the oil he had not yet put any new oil in it. His boy said he rode it for a couple of hours with his friends and then came home. My friend tore the motor down that night and he told us that there was no damage to be found and could not believe it. He put it all back together and continued to ride it with no problems. Just a side note, my friend is the head mechanic at a local shop and has over 25yrs in the buisness.

• YZ450Fahk

Posted April 14, 2008 - 01:27 PM

A friend of mine had let his son take his yz426 to the track and didn't think about it until his boy came back that when he changed the oil he had not yet put any new oil in it. His boy said he rode it for a couple of hours with his friends and then came home. My friend tore the motor down that night and he told us that there was no damage to be found and could not believe it. He put it all back together and continued to ride it with no problems. Just a side note, my friend is the head mechanic at a local shop and has over 25yrs in the business.

So he rode the bike without any oil in it for a couple hours?

Posted April 14, 2008 - 03:59 PM

So he rode the bike without any oil in it for a couple hours?

Yes. Went to the track for a couple hrs and my guess actual time on the bike was half that, but it is still amazing it didn't do any damage.

• Michael Cahill

Posted April 14, 2008 - 07:03 PM

No oil in it and no damage?!! Wow!!

GO YAMAHA!!! :thumbsup:

• nap__kxf

Posted April 14, 2008 - 07:30 PM

only a yamaha could pull that off :thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted April 15, 2008 - 09:58 AM

I never run oil it weighs to muchv:crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DesertRacer2

Posted April 15, 2008 - 04:46 PM

With the way I maintain my 07 YZ450, I thought it would last forever as well. My transmission blew 2 weeks ago do to a couple gears breaking and locking up the transmission. The dealer said it was a total fluke.

• DesertRacer2

Posted April 15, 2008 - 04:47 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=624729

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted April 16, 2008 - 05:23 AM

Despite good luck with bikes running forever with no maintenance the tranny blowing up randomly as a fluke is completely disturbing as i maintain my bike more than i ride it :thumbsup:

With the way I maintain my 07 YZ450, I thought it would last forever as well. My transmission blew 2 weeks ago do to a couple gears breaking and locking up the transmission. The dealer said it was a total fluke.

There should be warranties for these kind of flukes

• DesertRacer2

Posted April 16, 2008 - 06:35 AM

I agree. While I don't think it will do any good, I am going to write a letter to Yamaha and send them a copy of the work bill. What do I have to lose right?

• YZ450Fahk

Posted April 16, 2008 - 06:50 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=624729

That sux man, sorry to hear that! How much did that cost to fix?

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 16, 2008 - 10:13 AM

These bikes are good, but not as bullet-proof as everyone says...I guarantee you, that kids bike would've wound up in the shop very soon...And running any bike with no oil and not having any damage is just a lucky fluke...

I had a "faulty" cam tensioner with only 20 hours on the bike...Was told by the mechanic that it wasn't caused by anything specific, just a faulty tensioner, and he'd never seen that before...

So sure, some guys can ride the bike for years with no maintenance and have no issues, but some maintain the hell out of their bikes and end up with huge repair bills...Luck of the draw...

I do think it would be wise to buy a bike new IN THE CRATE and have someone reliable set it up...I think many of the bikes on the showroom floor were thrown together without much care, often by young guys that don't have much experience, or by guys that don't bother torqing everything to exact specs...

• YZ450Fahk

Posted April 16, 2008 - 10:57 AM

These bikes are good, but not as bullet-proof as everyone says...I guarantee you, that kids bike would've wound up in the shop very soon...And running any bike with no oil and not having any damage is just a lucky fluke...

I had a "faulty" cam tensioner with only 20 hours on the bike...Was told by the mechanic that it wasn't caused by anything specific, just a faulty tensioner, and he'd never seen that before...

So sure, some guys can ride the bike for years with no maintenance and have no issues, but some maintain the hell out of their bikes and end up with huge repair bills...Luck of the draw...

I do think it would be wise to buy a bike new IN THE CRATE and have someone reliable set it up...I think many of the bikes on the showroom floor were thrown together without much care, often by young guys that don't have much experience, or by guys that don't bother torqing everything to exact specs...

I agree, these are not the norms, but it is a testament to Yamahas. I think your right about bikes being slapped together at the dealership. The first thing the I recommend anyone do when they get any bike home is go through the bike and check every thing and torque it to speck. Also take everything apart and grease all the bearings (especially with Yamahas).

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:03 PM

your right about the poor assembly of bikes at local shops. Its hard to find decent help these days

• DesertRacer2

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:11 AM

That sux man, sorry to hear that! How much did that cost to fix?

Got the engine back last night. $1500.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.