2008 YZ450F exhaust

38 replies to this topic
  • tribalbc

Posted August 16, 2008 - 06:55 AM

I have a 98 WR400 what year YZ450F's pipe's will fit. I have an 03 YZF head pipe but it would not fit in the stock wr exhaust

If you're going to change the header than you will have to change the can too to fit. Easiest thing to do is just buy a used YZ complete system.
I suggest going on the FMF website and see what year full systems for WR and YZ match part #'s. That's what I did :)

• freeriders98

Posted August 18, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thanks

• RCBlume

Posted September 13, 2008 - 11:46 AM

So I just finished what I think was the best bang for the buck mod for my bike :busted: Reading about the new 08 YZ exhaust, light, short, not over 96db, smooth power, etc... I figured it would be a cheap exhaust upgrade for my 07 WR450F. So I scored a like new full system off the tt classifieds for $150.
Bolts right on, is almost 8" shorter and at least 3lbs lighter than stock. Noise level is def louder but not obnoxious. I'm sure it should pass the 96db sound test.
Did this exhaust ever wake this motor up :worthy: I had done all the free mods including removal of ais and inner baffle. The bike was missing low end grunt, but now pulls like a tractor. Don't feel much gain on top but the bottom is awesome.
Had to richen my jetting some but otherwise it was a bolt on mod :thumbsup:
I'll get some pics up when I get my battery on my camera recharged :blah:

Hi,

I have an 06' WR 450F. Done all the free mods etc as well. I have even rejetted my carb with a 48 Pilot (stock is 45) and a 168 Main (Stock is 165). I am thinking of investing in the 2009 YZ45F GYTR Stainless Exhaust System - 99 dBA for the same reason that you describe. My question is...what size jets did you rejet your carb to? By the way, I have a ZipTY adjustable as well, so I might be able to just back it out a bit more. I appreciate your help!

R. Craig Blume

• tribalbc

Posted September 13, 2008 - 04:34 PM

I don't think the 09 or any other aluminum frame era exhaust will fit your steel frame 06 :thumbsup:
Cross reference on FMF's site to see.

Jetting wise I'm a 170 main, 48 pilot, GYTR needle on the 4th clip.
Ride from 1000-5000ft.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 13, 2008 - 09:39 PM

None of the AL frame exhausts fit the steel framed bikes.

A sure bet would be an '03-'05 YZ system or an '03-'06 WR system. A full system isn't really necessary on the '03-'06 because its got a YZ header already. You can get awesome gains from just a slip-on.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 15, 2008 - 09:46 AM

Im thinking about doing an FMF pipe on my 08 but i want to make sure the can is aluminum.

what do you guys get when you read this discription from FMF

Factory 4.1 SL – Titanium (Ti) Midpipe Titanium slip-on muffler with titanium midpipe; same muffler as Factory 4.1 system. Available in natural titanium or blue anodized finish. Fits stock or FMF header.

• KennyMc

Posted September 15, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Im thinking about doing an FMF pipe on my 08 but i want to make sure the can is aluminum.

what do you guys get when you read this discription from FMF

Factory 4.1 SL – Titanium (Ti) Midpipe Titanium slip-on muffler with titanium midpipe; same muffler as Factory 4.1 system. Available in natural titanium or blue anodized finish. Fits stock or FMF header.

I believe the can would be titanium.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 15, 2008 - 02:14 PM

I believe the can would be titanium.

thats what im thinking but the guy at fmf said it wasnt....:excuseme:

i really wish they made one of their pipes in aluminum so it would be stronger.

i want a drd but i can stand how it stickes out farther...maybe im just weird:ride:

for those that have the fmf how do you like it?

• KennyMc

Posted September 15, 2008 - 02:52 PM

thats what im thinking but the guy at fmf said it wasnt....:excuseme:

i really wish they made one of their pipes in aluminum so it would be stronger.

i want a drd but i can stand how it stickes out farther...maybe im just weird:ride:

for those that have the fmf how do you like it?

Do you need the entire system? You could get the Powercorp 4 muffler slip-on for that is SS. I have had the TI one for 1 1/2 years with no problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 15, 2008 - 05:19 PM

Do you need the entire system? You could get the Powercorp 4 muffler slip-on for that is SS. I have had the TI one for 1 1/2 years with no problem.

I want a yz header and muffler that is strong enough not to cave in when i tip over or something!

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:08 PM

Dr.D stainless!!!!

Or FMF powerbomb w/ powercore 4. The nice thing about the new style PC4 is that it tucks in nicely behind the numberplate.

• jeremy650

Posted October 05, 2009 - 10:33 AM

I just bought a 2009 w450f and I am wondering what year of yz exhaust will fit. The fmf site does not have 2009 listed. Thanks

• erickdj

Posted October 05, 2009 - 11:00 AM

I just bought a 2009 w450f and I am wondering what year of yz exhaust will fit. The fmf site does not have 2009 listed. Thanks

06+ yz exhausts fit the 07+ wr.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 05, 2009 - 03:21 PM

Dr.D stainless!!!!

Or FMF powerbomb w/ powercore 4. The nice thing about the new style PC4 is that it tucks in nicely behind the numberplate.

Agree, just installed one and it's really tucked in. Mounting was so slick it was almost criminal as well.

• jeremy650

Posted October 06, 2009 - 04:24 AM

Thanks very much for the info I need to get the free mods done and possibly the YZ exhaust. Love the bike but it is definetly not working to its potential.

• chuckfp

Posted November 10, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Here's my results after replacing my '08 wr450f stock header pipe with a '06 - '08 YZF450 header pipe, along with a PMB tip. All "free" mods/uncorking were already performed prior to replacement of these two items. The low end torque was definitely increased. At low rpm's where the engine used to chatter, the engine now pulls well. I did not notice any increase in mid range or top end. The PMB exhaust noise is only slightly more than the stock tip with the pea shooter removed. At first I jetted the bike slightly richer with the YZ header, but after seeing some soot in the spark arrestor screen I went back to the 168 main jet and it seemed to run the same. In a nutshell, if you're looking for better top end this won't do it, but if low speed torque is important you'll like the improvement. I don't want more noise so that is why I did not replace the entire stock muffler assembly.

• Demo_Slug

Posted November 10, 2009 - 12:47 PM

Here's my results after replacing my '08 wr450f stock header pipe with a '06 - '08 YZF450 header pipe, along with a PMB tip. .

all three header pipes have different diameters. 08 being the largest( larger is not necessarily better) the performance between them might be different. do you happen to know which one you have? 06, 07 or 08?

• chuckfp

Posted November 10, 2009 - 04:25 PM

Sorry for my goof in reply, I installed an '08 yz450f header pipe on my '08 wr450f. The yz header pipe was considerably larger in diameter than my stock wr header pipe. It fit right up to the stock wr450 muffler which is the same size diameter as the '08 yz header.

• Paperclip441

Posted November 10, 2009 - 04:35 PM

I just borrowing this thread for a dumb n00bie question.
Is there big differences in performance on aftermarket exhausts?
I have a CRD exhaust i put on instead of the stock one at the moment, would FMF exhaust gain more power? or is the sound of the exhaust the only difference ?

I know nothing about this....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.