2008 YZ450F exhaust

So I just finished what I think was the best bang for the buck mod for my bike :confused: Reading about the new 08 YZ exhaust, light, short, not over 96db, smooth power, etc... I figured it would be a cheap exhaust upgrade for my 07 WR450F. So I scored a like new full system off the tt classifieds for $150.

Bolts right on, is almost 8" shorter and at least 3lbs lighter than stock. Noise level is def louder but not obnoxious. I'm sure it should pass the 96db sound test.

Did this exhaust ever wake this motor up ? I had done all the free mods including removal of ais and inner baffle. The bike was missing low end grunt, but now pulls like a tractor. Don't feel much gain on top but the bottom is awesome.

Had to richen my jetting some but otherwise it was a bolt on mod ?

I'll get some pics up when I get my battery on my camera recharged :ride:

No spark arrestor. I could put on one of those pmb endos for $150. Spark arrestor isn't really an issue here in BC. I'll probably throw one on in the future though.

Had a couple more rides with this pipe now and the torque dif is amazing. I had dropped a tooth on my counter sprocket because it was missing low end. Now I'm back to stock gearing and I don't have to use the clutch anymore. It will pull from the bottom up a big hill and just keep accelerating. You also don't have to spin the tire as much as you can walk up stuff slower with the added torque ?

No spark arrestor. I could put on one of those pmb endos for $150.

you don't need the pmb end cap. you can simply use a cheap bbr spark arrestor, and it's not any additional work since you still have to drill out the rivets from the stock end cap to install the pmb. to me it seems like a waste of money to spend $150 on a spark arrestor.

Good to hear! I'm about to put a full FMF system on my 08. I am going to pay about twice as much but, that's how I roll:bonk: I really cant wait to feel the difference!

Good for you:thumbsup: you're gonna love FMF's product. I only have the slip on but the difference was amazing over stock

you don't need the pmb end cap. you can simply use a cheap bbr spark arrestor, and it's not any additional work since you still have to drill out the rivets from the stock end cap to install the pmb. to me it seems like a waste of money to spend $150 on a spark arrestor.

Can you get one for a 08 450 though ? Not on their website ?

Any cheap options are welcomed.

Can you get one for a 08 450 though ? Not on their website ?

Any cheap options are welcomed.

creativity is key here. you won't find a model-specific spark arrestor from BBR. simply use their generic "cone" spark arrestor, that does the trick pretty well. here's a link to a seller: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/187/3992/ITEM/BBR-Spark-Arrestor-Screen.aspx

Get yourself a knife, drill, hacksaw, rivet gun,rivets, and a tape measure. That's your list for the stuff you'll need to complete the job. have fun...

• 2 weeks later...

So I just figured out how to post pics on this site :eek:

Not that anyone really seems interested but here's some pics of how short the can is.

I really can't get over the torque difference with this pipe. And not too loud at all. Best bang for my buck mod wise.

P1010089.jpg

P1010078.jpg

P1010077.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good, cheap fix for a WR and I don't think you have to repack them.

But a good aftermarket pipe will make more power than an 08 YZ pipe. They are pretty choked up.

You can get a YZ slip on for it if you ever smash the muffler. The YZ head pipe is bigger.

A good aftermarket may give more power, but more db's as well. I tested at the last race at 95db's. I also find the power this pipe puts out is perfect for the gnarly tight singletrack I ride. Lot's of torque, smooth strong power everywhere with no big hit. Easy to control wheelspin.

I also think it's a better buy than just a slip on as the header is ALOT bigger than a wr's. It breathes so much better and the old glowing header from idle syndrom is gone.

I do find it alot more finicky to jetting changes now with temp, elevation , etc. Just adjustments through the fuel screw but I have to dial it in pretty much every day where with my wr exhaust I hardly ever had to adjust.

So I just figured out how to post pics on this site ?

Not that anyone really seems interested but here's some pics of how short the can is.

I really can't get over the torque difference with this pipe. And not too loud at all. Best bang for my buck mod wise.

I think it is a realy nice MOD.

When I first read about the 08 YZ, I recall thinking that the 08 yz exhaust would be perfect for my WR. Spark arrestor is the only thing that need addressing. With how much the magazines lambasted the pipe I assumed that it would an easy find on ebay. But I haven’t been lucky enough to find one. ? And settled on buying a slip on.

I’m sure that this technology will find it’s way onto the 09 WRs.

I think it is a realy nice MOD.

When I first read about the 08 YZ, I recall thinking that the 08 yz exhaust would be perfect for my WR. Spark arrestor is the only thing that need addressing. With how much the magazines lambasted the pipe I assumed that it would an easy find on ebay. But I haven’t been lucky enough to find one. ? And settled on buying a slip on.

I’m sure that this technology will find it’s way onto the 09 WRs.

I found mine on the TT classifieds ?

One last bonus is it's easy to pick the bike up by the fender now. Lot's of room.

After reading this thread I mentioned it to a buddy who has a 08 yz450 and he gave me his silencer after purchasing a Leo Vinci for his YZ. He also remembered that he had an old YZ426 header laying around so that went on too. Both bolted right up:applause: ?. Haven't ridden it on the trails yet just up the street real quick, seems like a ton off the bottom now!! Thanks for the thread:worthy: ? :rolleyes: :crazy:

• 2 months later...

Update with a little PMB Endo review

I was having an issue with sound at the races. I would test anywhere between 93 and 97db`s but basiclly I was being pressured to do something. To add to the mix SA`s which are not mandatory in BC are starting to be required at the races.

So I got a PMB endo with the turn down silent insert.

With just the endo with SA installed I would say the power pretty much mirror`s the stock YZ exhaust. I would say about the same db`s as well. Haven`t ridden much with this setup so hard to say.

With the turn down silent insert the bike definately is quieter. It should have no problem passing the sound test :ride:

It`s interesting though with such a small reduction and a simple turn down how much it changes the power delivery. It used to be lot`s on the bottom with a big midrange hit and sign off early.

Stock ( modded ) WR was electric like with not a whole lot on the bottom but lot`s of overrev

Now I`ve lost a little on the bottom, the midrange hit has been smoothed out and there`s some overev again ?

All in all I would say it`s a good trade off for the noise reduction. I probably prefer the power with the big mid hit for the tight woods but this does make for easier throttle control. You just can`t lug it as much, touching the clutch a little more ?

P1010252.jpg