Lean or rich?

8 replies to this topic

Posted April 14, 2008 - 05:43 AM

Rolling (not blipping) the throttle out of a corner and it stalls. Is it to rich or lean on the pilot?

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2008 - 06:01 AM

At what point in the throttle does it stall?

Are you riding a gear high out of the corner?

Posted April 14, 2008 - 11:09 AM

At what point in the throttle does it stall?

Are you riding a gear high out of the corner?

It stalls randomley just off idle as I'm starting to get on the gas. The first time I figured I was getting on the gas to quick being my fault but after a few more times I realized that wasn't the case. It stalled once going into a corner just as I was letting off the throttle and starting to get on the brakes. If it was a 2strk I would just go leaner on the pilot/air screw but being these have accelerator pumps, leak jet etc.... I'm a little confused on where to start first. I do tend to ride my bike in the lower to mid part of the power if that is considered riding a gear high but am on it pretty hard out of corners and up hills.

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2008 - 11:16 AM

I would check the float level first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted April 14, 2008 - 02:15 PM

+2 on the float level.

Pilot and fuewl screw is for idle only.

If the float level is right, you may want to try a different leak jet. While you have the bowl off, make note of the current one in there.

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2008 - 02:19 PM

The pilot circuit runs everything at an idle, but also has a huge influence on whether the engine returns to idle properly from speed, and in how it transitions from idle to open throttle, when the main circuit starts working.

However, I don't yet think it's the culprit here.

Posted April 14, 2008 - 03:55 PM

The pilot circuit runs everything at an idle, but also has a huge influence on whether the engine returns to idle properly from speed, and in how it transitions from idle to open throttle, when the main circuit starts working.

However, I don't yet think it's the culprit here.

I will give it a look tomorrow and let you know. Thanks.

• BASSic

Posted April 14, 2008 - 04:57 PM

When was the last time you cleaned the carb? Did the bike run fine before and just recently start doing this?

I've had some similar symptoms a few times, and after pulling the float drain and finding a bunch of gunk I determined I need to pull the carb and clean it.

• todds924

Posted April 14, 2008 - 06:20 PM

It stalls randomley just off idle as I'm starting to get on the gas. The first time I figured I was getting on the gas to quick being my fault but after a few more times I realized that wasn't the case. It stalled once going into a corner just as I was letting off the throttle and starting to get on the brakes. If it was a 2strk I would just go leaner on the pilot/air screw but being these have accelerator pumps, leak jet etc.... I'm a little confused on where to start first. I do tend to ride my bike in the lower to mid part of the power if that is considered riding a gear high but am on it pretty hard out of corners and up hills.

My 08 did the same thing. I installed a 50 leak jet and its good now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.