02 wr 426

13 replies to this topic
  • rotax harry

Posted April 13, 2008 - 09:23 PM

allright so i have the chance to pick one up with a clean title, fresh service and new tires....
for 1k plus my Pitster 125...

any thing to look out for on this bike?
handling?:thumbsup: lots of power:eek: ??

This would be my first modern era dirtbike....besides the pooster but that dosnt count......

My main exp is on 70's and 80's 2 stroke bikes...

• byggd

Posted April 14, 2008 - 01:35 PM

The 02 wr426 is a great bike. IMO the best of the 98-02 wr's because it has some of the refinements of the 450. TONS of power!

• Math

Posted April 15, 2008 - 05:30 PM

Hold on tight!

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 15, 2008 - 06:29 PM

I have the exact same bike, even though it doesn't look wr'ish in my garage. It has lots of power and I've never had any problems with it. I've only checked the valve clearance twice in 6 years and it has never changed let alone go out of adjustment. There is still plenty of aftermarket goodies out there to be found as well, not as much as new bikes, but enough. I'd buy it if I were you.

• Birdy426

Posted April 15, 2008 - 07:34 PM

JUMP ON IT! You will love it.

• jfreadman

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:10 PM

Just don't put a yz450 exhaust cam in it. After time it will stretch the cam chain. Not sure if the Hot Cam EX is the way to go either. I'm currently running the Hot Cam for the auto decompression, but haven't made up my mind yet.

• byggd

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:25 PM

Just don't put a yz450 exhaust cam in it. After time it will stretch the cam chain. Not sure if the Hot Cam EX is the way to go either. I'm currently running the Hot Cam for the auto decompression, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Do you know someone this actually has this happen to? I installed one on my 02 a couple years ago with no problems and I know of others who have logged thousands of miles with the mod with no issues. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted April 16, 2008 - 07:20 PM

are you sure it was the cam that made the chain stretch? couldn't it just be from normal wear and tear?

• WR_Dave

Posted April 16, 2008 - 07:56 PM

Cam chains will stretch eventually from normal wear and tear, but most often they stretch very quickly due to poor service procedures. WR Dave.

• dustdogg

Posted April 16, 2008 - 08:10 PM

Do you know someone this actually has this happen to? I installed one on my 02 a couple years ago with no problems and I know of others who have logged thousands of miles with the mod with no issues. :thumbsup:

I have heard this too. I think I remember reading that the pitch of the teeth are slightly different between the 426 cam and the 450 cam. After reading this I figured it wasn't worth the risk. I have no problem starting my 02' WR426 and I actually don't think much about having to use the compression release when I start it. I say try it out stock and if becomes a problem look into the cam swap, but once you learn the drill it becomes second nature. It also keeps your buddies from taking off on your bike unless they know the procedure too:thumbsup:

• Birdy426

Posted April 16, 2008 - 11:09 PM

I have heard this too. I think I remember reading that the pitch of the teeth are slightly different between the 426 cam and the 450 cam. After reading this I figured it wasn't worth the risk. I have no problem starting my 02' WR426 and I actually don't think much about having to use the compression release when I start it. I say try it out stock and if becomes a problem look into the cam swap, but once you learn the drill it becomes second nature. It also keeps your buddies from taking off on your bike unless they know the procedure too:thumbsup:

I said that too, till I put in the hotcams autodecompression cam. It is, without a doubt, the single best mod you can do to your 400/426. Period. Dot. Enf of story. As far as the tooth profile being different enough to cause problems, I think enough folks have done the YZ450F swap without problems to cahlk that up to over-caution. Yes, cam chains do wear. Yes, they do stretch. Both are a function of revs. The more you rev, the more the chain wears and stretches...and if you have a YZ timed WR with autodecomp, you WILL rev more than a stock WR (and you will have perma-grin).

• jfreadman

Posted April 17, 2008 - 01:52 PM

Yes the 450 cam teeth do not mesh up perfect, making the chain ride high on the cam. Knowing that a 450 cam will speed the chain stretching, and keeping an eye on it, you should be fine. I now know that a chain will stretch after grenading my bike. When you have a hard time getting everything to line up it is time to step back and ask why.

I'm curious as to how hard the Hot Cam Ex is on the valves? Does anybody have some input on these? It appears that my bike is running lean after installing the Hot Cam over the 450 cam and making more noise in the head.

• Birdy426

Posted April 17, 2008 - 08:49 PM

The exhaust cam profile isn't that much different than the stocker, and the hot cams are designed to run stock valve springs, so the ramp up and ramp down velocities and angles, contact patch with the buckets, and contact pressures are very similar to stock. I have well over 3000 miles on my hot cams with no issues. Mine sounds aboutt he same as the stocker...of course it's kinda hard to hear over all that clutch and primary drive noise...

• matt4x4

Posted April 18, 2008 - 04:13 AM

It also keeps your buddies from taking off on your bike unless they know the procedure too

SOO true!
I love that "anti-theft" feature!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.