Hot start plunger

5 replies to this topic
  • sgilbert

Posted April 13, 2008 - 09:46 AM

I recently broke the hot start cable screw (plastic nut-like thing that holds the cable onto the carb). Apparently, I have lost a part in the process of replacing the screw. I can find nothing in the carb to hook the small metal end of the cable to. For now, I have just left the end of the cable lying in the hole where it should hook into something and installed the new screw. So it should be water-tight and it appeared to run just fine for the 2 minutes that I tested it. I never used the hot start anyway. My 2 questions are: 1. Will this damage the bike in anyway? 2. What's the part called that I lost? (ans. hot start plunger?)

• anathema

Posted April 13, 2008 - 11:11 AM

No idea about the parts you're missing, but here is a exploded view of a 04 WR450 carb.

http://fiche.ronayer...oup/CARBURETOR_

It has all the pieces etc and a price for each one, so hopefully that helps!

• chrispy1202

Posted April 14, 2008 - 03:51 PM

I thought the end of the cable has a lead ball on it that slides into a slot in the plunger part, to hold it together. Is the there any remnants on the end of your cable. Probably could melt on another piece of lead onto the end of the cable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sgilbert

Posted April 14, 2008 - 05:12 PM

Thanks guys. I believe I've got it now.

• dazzabb

Posted April 14, 2008 - 05:22 PM

Sounds like you have lost the plunger if there is nothing there to hook the cable into. Thats weird though because usually the plungers are a bastard to remove so to lose one dunno how that would happen - unless the o-ring that it seats in was perished or lost.

I removed the hot start cable from my bike after the cable broke and I also remove the plastic screw - then I filled the hole with silicone sealant and have had no drama at all since.

If the cable is just hanging loose in the carb with the plastic screw fitted I would be tempted to put some sort of sealant, maybe silicone to make sure the seal is good - actually no and better option would be to

Remove the cable and then seal the hole until you get a new plunger and o-ring, this will minimise the chances of any leakage.

• jaked02

Posted April 15, 2008 - 05:48 AM

Kind of the same thing has happened to my 06 450. I bought it used a month ago and noticed that the hot start cable was flat out gone. The black plastic piece that goes into the carb is still there but no cable and the last owner had taken the hot start level off. So our problems, do I reall need to spend the money to get my hot start set up back or do I need it at all. I would be riding in 90 degree weather.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.