08 YZ450F: What do you think after riding it for a while?

13 replies to this topic
  • mxengineer4

Posted April 12, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Just curious to see what you 08 YZ450F owners think of your bike after you have ridden it for a while...the good points and the things that can be improved. I got a chance to ride one earlier this week and the current $750 cash back got me thinking :thumbsup: . Thanks for the input.

• endurodog

Posted April 12, 2008 - 05:20 PM

I absolutly love it. I run it with an FMF 4.1 exhust because Yamaha did miss the mark on that. Everything else I like in stock form. Even suspension feels good to me, I'm sure if I threw money it could be better, like on any bike, but it's good stock. If it was stolen tomorrow I would replace it with the same bike.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted April 12, 2008 - 05:47 PM

I have about 35 hours on my 08 now and honestly every single time I ride it, it impresses me more and more. Once I put a pipe on it I have absolutly no complaints about it what so ever.

The only bad thing I can think of is the bike is WAY more capable than I am, but thats just me being a wuss:bonk:

• Teamblue450

Posted April 12, 2008 - 06:12 PM

havn't ridden mine yet just got it Fri, tell you after tomorrow

• Joerider07

Posted April 12, 2008 - 06:14 PM

I have just gotten it past the break in period. Only had it for a couple days. Its a very impressing bike very fast i still need to get used to all the power. I havent changed the exhaust yet but i plan to in the next couple of weeks. Overall very happy.

• grunkthump

Posted April 12, 2008 - 06:20 PM

well i'm gonna wait for an 09' ....only have a few hours on my 07'!! (bought LATE last fall)....I cannot believe how WONDERFUL the STOCK suspension is on these things!! And i'm really and truly NOT having any cornering issues yet!! A good front tire does wonders!!

• CRFsean

Posted April 12, 2008 - 06:22 PM

I LOVE MINE! but ya ditch the exhaust, I went with an FMF factory 4.1. I recommend putting some radiator braces on. I used the moose racing ones, and I changed my skidplate to a WC one.

Heres a pic just cuz.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wolfie12

Posted April 12, 2008 - 07:30 PM

I have one race, and about 3 hrs on my 08, after 3 years of Hondas. Yes, the stock exhaust feels soft down low, but after racing it, I didn't feel like I was at a disadvantage. I got a good deal on a full Ti Two brothers system, that woke the bike up huge, but it broke on my first ride...not good. So, while thats back at Two Bros, for a replacement or repair, I'm running it stock again tomorrow. I've had some issues with the cornering, that I've been working on. Last week in the sand, I washed out and went down 3 times in one moto. Now, I'm not gonna blame it all on the bike, but the thing wasn't steering for $hit in the sand with the stock setup. This week, I raised my forks a 1/4 inch, put a Pirelli Softcross on, and shortened the wheelbase by taking a link out of the stock chain. I should see a good improvement in cornering imo. My theory about the stock junk chain and sprockets is wear them out, and then spend the money on better chain and sprockets. The suspension is awesome, feels as good as most any revalved suspension I've owned. I may very well ride it stock this year, just do fluid changes. I put the high seat on mine, and the ergos are way more comfy for my 6 ft. frame. I'm very happy with it. Dial in the suspension and handling to your preference, put any exhaust on it, and go racing.

• endurodog

Posted April 12, 2008 - 08:08 PM

Wolfie12 the "supposed" hot set up for steering on the Yamaha's is to lengthen the wheel base. Yes I know it goes against every thing that we all believe, and I have done for years. I read it in one of the mags a few months ago about the factory team doing it and a buddy tried it and said it worked. I have also recently done it to my 06 YZ250 2 stroke and in running it a couple of times, 1 enduro and 1 practice, it seems better. The theory goes that it actually puts more weight over the front wheel. ( I'm sure this will generate a debate but I'm just passing along info, take it FWIW)

• balls

Posted April 12, 2008 - 11:47 PM

Ive done 85 hours on mine and it still gives me giggles every time i ride, Was thinking of doing the exhaust earlier on but its sweet stock.

• MotoXT

Posted April 13, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Wolfie12 the "supposed" hot set up for steering on the Yamaha's is to lengthen the wheel base. Yes I know it goes against every thing that we all believe, and I have done for years. I read it in one of the mags a few months ago about the factory team doing it and a buddy tried it and said it worked. I have also recently done it to my 06 YZ250 2 stroke and in running it a couple of times, 1 enduro and 1 practice, it seems better. The theory goes that it actually puts more weight over the front wheel. ( I'm sure this will generate a debate but I'm just passing along info, take it FWIW)

+1. Running the rear wheel further back effectively steepens the steering angle. Also, the stock front tire is junk in the sand - felt like I was riding on ice. Went to an MS3 and solved all my problems (except poor technique:ride: )

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted April 13, 2008 - 09:01 AM

I do lots of sand dunes riding on my bike and I will agree the stock front tire feels VERY vague in the sand. I put a bridgestone M59 on my bike and now it is SOOO awesome in the sand. One thing I have notice in regaurds to sand is the bike likes the suspension somewhat stiffer if you want it to handle the best but when i go dirt riding I like the suspension much softer so that it settles into the corners better. just my $.02:ride:

• bnyfe

Posted April 13, 2008 - 01:17 PM

All, and I mean all my buddies have CRF's. They steer more precise and carve better than a Yamaha no doubt about that. But the Yamaha is flat out way more stable, way more reliable, and way better suspended. First thing they do when they get a new bike is send their suspension out for re-valve. First thing I do is ride it and fall in love with it. Comes stock with pro-tapers as well!

While the Honda has come a long way with their twin spar frame, the Yamaha frame is more resilient and I garuntee you, you will be able to ride more laps with it before tiring once you are used to it. You will be able to pull a gear higher through the whoops too.

Air filter requires half the effort to change on the Yami. Honda used to have the best fit and finish, but Yamaha's metallurgy is right up there now and in my opinion is just as good as the Honda.

Get crossed up off a jump and the Yamaha is way more forgiving. Pound for pound the motor will hold it's own, but you will need a pipe if you are a fast AM or above.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Honda. The Yamaha has a different personality. You have to decide if you are compatible and if the 750 Rebate makes it appealing enough.:thumbsup:

• wolfie12

Posted April 13, 2008 - 07:12 PM

I read some of those "setups" and yes, it does go against I've learned over the years. I guess arguments can be made that lengthening the swingarm can alter the approach angle and put more weight on the front end, but lengthening the wheelbase may also negate any benefit that a sharper steering angle may give you. Typically shortening the wheelbase helps with cornering, as does raising the fork tubes. Today at the races, I raced 4 motos, and the cornering was worlds better. Now it corners like my Hondas used to. Besides, you can only pull the wheel so far back, and as it was, almost half the adjuster was hanging out past the swingarm. Raising the fork tubes also puts more weight on the front end. Regardless, I guess its a gray area, but I'm very happy with the results. Now if I could just start getting better holeshots..... :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.