1994 xt225 serow

7 replies to this topic
  • trailz_rider

Posted April 12, 2008 - 03:02 AM

Hi guys,

A buddy of mine has a 1994 xt225 serow for sale. What's the best year to buy for the xt225? Is the serow a special kit? How many miles are the engines good for? Are there any known problems to look for on this model?

Thanks in advance.

• GlennF

Posted April 12, 2008 - 04:56 AM

The 1994 XT225 is basically the same bike as made up through 2007. They are bulletproof and simple. Serow was the name of the original bike and European and Asian models. A Serow is a mountain goat.

• maim

Posted April 13, 2008 - 09:03 PM

i put 18,000km on a 1992 xt225 serrow before i sold it. i hear it is still running but when i sold it it needed freshening up.

there was only one change to the bike that i am aware of. i know my 1992 was only a 5 speed. the later models where 6 speeds.

the only real problem i had with mine was the rear rim. i kept breaking spokes on it and when i sold it it needed a new one but was still workable.

it still was a tough little bike that hauled my 220lb butt around in the bush and handled the whoops pretty good for a enduro.

• shrubitup

Posted April 14, 2008 - 09:12 AM

it still was a tough little bike that hauled my 220lb butt around in the bush and handled the whoops pretty good for a enduro.

+1 only mine weighs 250 lbs. (butt not bike):thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• ExturnalRemedies

Posted April 16, 2008 - 09:38 AM

I have a 1996 XT 225 and I love it. I had the same spoke problem though. The rear wheel kept breaking spokes. Just got a new used rear wheel in off a ttr so I'm hoping that works for me.

• trailz_rider

Posted April 17, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to get one of these for the wife. Now I have to decide what I'm going to ride. :thumbsup:

• xt225serow

Posted February 09, 2009 - 11:37 AM

i just picked up a 1994 xt225 serow for free,it needs a gas tank a carb float new exhaust,and gaskets that will onley set me back 200$.When i did have it running it was VERY powerful and got up and went quick.The bike was very comfortable I cant wait to get it running again such a fun dualsport!

• Moto Psycho

Posted February 14, 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hi guys,

A buddy of mine has a 1994 xt225 serow for sale. What's the best year to buy for the xt225? Is the serow a special kit? How many miles are the engines good for? Are there any known problems to look for on this model?

Thanks in advance.

The best year '92-'07. Very little has changed throughout the years.

Serow is not a special kit. It is the name badged on the overseas XT225/250, and was badged as such here in the States on the '92 to the (I think) '96 model. Then dropped to just XT225.

The engines are very reliable. It's hard to say how many miles they are good for. It all depends on how well the maintenance was kept on it. There is a chap in England that has around 80,000 kms or over 50,000 miles on his XT250 Serow. The bike is his daily transportation, whether is sunny, raining, sleet or snow.

Only real problem is cold starting. The stock jets in that '94 should be a 130 main and a 40 pilot jet. Swap out the 40 for a 42.5 and turn the pilot screw out 3 full turns and problem solved. The rear spokes to take a bit of abuse when offroading, but if you check them regularly, they should be fine.

Here are a couple of pics of my '05:

Posted Image

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.