'08 or '07, not again!

5 replies to this topic
  • TimFurryBalls

Posted April 11, 2008 - 08:25 PM

I need some quick answers. I've read pretty much every write-up on the '07 and '08's. I also read that the '08 with an aftermarket exhaust is still not faster than an '07 stock. Is this true? Also, how much of a difference does the new chasis make? If there were only a $500 difference between the two (brand new), which would you get? Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2008 - 08:40 PM

Exhaust question: No. The '08 actually puts up more peak HP on a dyno than any YZ450 to date (right around 52), but in stock trim, the mid range has a big dip in it around 5000. Most add-on pipes straighten that out right away. The bike is very fast with a good system on it. MXA was impressed with the bike when they tried it with the DRD Ti system.

With a good exhaust, the bike has a little better mid range than the '07, but has a little more top end, too. Small difference, though.

On the chassis, it depends who you talk to. People who have modded their '06-'07 with clamps and/or have their suspension dialed in, or for whom the bike just fits their style better in the first place, usually don't see the '08 as that much of an improvement. But guys used to other bikes often find the '08 more to their liking than the '06/7, and can see a big difference in them. Personal issue.

For $500, I'd get the '08.

• XRYoda

Posted April 11, 2008 - 08:52 PM

Hey tim, you stole my avatar from a couple years ago.. Notice the one that I have now... Same source!! I will be changing avatars again, as soon as I get some time to troll the underworld of the net... BTW, the one that you have now was my all time fav, but a rolling stone gathers no moss....

Stay tuned

Yoda'

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimFurryBalls

Posted April 11, 2008 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the insight. The discussion on each models when doing a search is mind-bottling! And I mean "bottling", you know like when your mind feels like it's in a bottle. . . !

• TimFurryBalls

Posted April 11, 2008 - 08:55 PM

Hey tim, you stole my avatar from a couple years ago.. Notice the one that I have now... Same source!! I will be changing avatars again, as soon as I get some time to troll the underworld of the net... BTW, the one that you have now was my all time fav, but a rolling stone gathers no moss....

Stay tuned

Yoda'

Ha! That's why I kept it for so long!

• XRYoda

Posted April 11, 2008 - 09:02 PM

That one is a classic...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.