YZ has a case of the "DRZs", please help!!

16 replies to this topic
  • fundgh

Posted April 11, 2008 - 10:31 AM

Maybe it is kind of vain, but I can't help that when I look at my bike, it looks like a DRZ. It is pissing me off. It actually looks like what the cops around here ride. I have thought about changing the plastics, doing this doing that; but would like some fresh input. Does it look like a DRZ or am I crazy? What simple things (no/low cost) can I do to give it back the YZ flare that it has when I crank the throttle (no mistaking it for a DR there!). All opinions welcome!
Posted Image
Posted Image

• endurodog

Posted April 11, 2008 - 10:47 AM

Blue front numberplate

• William1

Posted April 11, 2008 - 11:02 AM

The DRZ came in blue too.

How about a 8" Baja Designs Racelight?

• endurodog

Posted April 11, 2008 - 12:11 PM

But it had a white front number plate

http://www.bikepics....ictures/209173/

• sparkyz

Posted April 11, 2008 - 12:18 PM

Maybe some yamaha stickers on the forkguards and on the front fender. Get a black number plate background and put it on around the headlight. Maybe do your side number plates also...

• fundgh

Posted April 11, 2008 - 02:56 PM

I think the backgrounds is the ticket. I actually bought a set for later model YZ hoping that they would be adaptable. I could have made the front one work, but no chance on the sides plates. So I returned them to Cyclegear. I may just have to pickup some black vinyl and do it up. The side view and rear view aren't so bad. It's the front view, and that's what I see every time I walk into the garage. If I pull it in backwards that might help. That Legalizer by Driven kit gives it the DRZ look, but it works well and I am not so concerned that I will change that out. But number plate backgrounds might do the trick.

• William1

Posted April 11, 2008 - 03:12 PM

LOL, owning both a WR and a DRZ, what is so bad about it looking like a DRZ?

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2008 - 03:22 PM

Does a WR look like a DRZ, or does a DRZ look like a WR?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fundgh

Posted April 11, 2008 - 03:22 PM

Not a lot I guess. I just have it my mind that the YZ is a kick ass dirtbike, and the DRZ is a compromized bike. It gives up a little badass-ness for comfort and road worthiness. There is nothing wrong with the way they look, I just chose the YZ I bought because it kicks ass on the DRZ, but when I poke my head in to the garage I see a little DRZ in my YZ. It would be like if your son had the mailman's eyes. Do you know what I mean?

• fundgh

Posted April 11, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Does a WR look like a DRZ, or does a DRZ look like a WR?

I don't think those bikes look alike, I just think it is the particular way my YZF is set up. The Legalizer kit, the mirror, the handle bars; the way the front end is put together just looks DRZish. No offense intended, I just didn't want a DRZ. When I first rode the bike I bought it had the number plate on it and the stock stator/flywheel install, and there was no mistaking it for what it was. In street form though...

• MaxPower

Posted April 11, 2008 - 03:35 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I think the white front plate and turn signals make it look a little DR creepy

You can get back rounds that are pre cut for the side plate but you are going to have to make one for the front head light plate arent you?

I havent done it yet with my 04 WR, but the 01 250f I had , the silencer side back round was a real booger to lay nice with the bulge in the plate.
I hope this bike is better.

[/COLOR]

• fundgh

Posted April 11, 2008 - 03:37 PM

I have done a little bit of vinyl work, so hopefully I can make it look decent. A hair dryer always helps. I won't try to cover every inch either, just darken the overall look.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted April 11, 2008 - 03:39 PM

just get another headlight and put a supermoto front fender on her...

• William1

Posted April 11, 2008 - 04:15 PM

Not a lot I guess. I just have it my mind that the YZ is a kick ass dirtbike, and the DRZ is a compromized bike. It gives up a little badass-ness for comfort and road worthiness. There is nothing wrong with the way they look, I just chose the YZ I bought because it kicks ass on the DRZ, but when I poke my head in to the garage I see a little DRZ in my YZ. It would be like if your son had the mailman's eyes. Do you know what I mean?

Thank goodness my son does not have the mailmans eyes, they are evil black. I have brown eyes, as does my wife. Fortunately, my boy's eyes are just like the milkmans, a sky blue......

• fundgh

Posted April 14, 2008 - 07:36 AM

This might sound funny (but not all that odd coming from me), but after riding with my buddy and his DRZ this weekend, I think the front end looks BETTER than the set up I have. But I did add a little vinyl to the front number plate and it tones it down. It would be cool to have a solid blue headlight unit, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it. After having some wiring difficulties, I may end up replacing the "kit" when I have some spare coin.
Posted Image

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted April 14, 2008 - 08:22 AM

I put a Acerbis Cyclope on my YZ and like the look of it. Works well too.

• BergArabia

Posted April 14, 2008 - 09:00 AM

A pair of these.. would be great on her.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.