High Compression at High Elevation?

8 replies to this topic
  • yzfmxer

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:28 PM

I live in Wyoming at about 5000ft. Elevation. I was thinking about purchasing a

high compression piston from C.P to help compensate for the air density loss at

this elevation. My question is, What would be the highest compression ratio I

could go at this elevation before I would have to run a higher octane fuel? And

how low could I go elevation wise before I would have to increase the octane of my fuel.

• sparkyz

Posted April 10, 2008 - 04:12 PM

I can't answer your question specifically but I can tell you that I am running a 13.5:1 piston at between 5000 and 6000ft on 91 pump gas with no trouble. Hope that helps a little.

• yzfmxer

Posted April 11, 2008 - 04:03 AM

thanks

• yzfmxer

Posted April 12, 2008 - 08:13 AM

Anyone else have any info for me?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2008 - 08:24 AM

At high altitude, air is less dense, so at any given compression ratio, the specific compression pressure will be lower. Thus, either less octane is required to prevent detonation, or higher compression is tolerable at a given octane rating. If you can get legitimate 91 octane ( (R+M)/2 method, standard pump gas), you should be able to run 13.5:1 at your elevation with no problems at all. In fact, that compression ratio will in part compensate for your altitude.

• yzfmxer

Posted April 12, 2008 - 08:34 AM

Thanks Gray. Would it be possible to gain all of the air density loss back with a high comp piston? What would be the ratio of the piston that would be the closest.

• grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2008 - 10:35 AM

Possibly, you could completely offset the altitude as far as compression goes, but I doubt that would make up for the lack of density in the fuel air charge, even so, still, if you get it jetted right, your bike won't be too far down on what the flat landers are running, and everyone you run against will be in the same air you are.

Eddie Sisneros posted a dyno run on a stone stock '06 YZ450 and got 49.75 at 5000 feet, so it ain't so bad.

• yzfmxer

Posted April 13, 2008 - 09:39 AM

That dyno run wasn't corrected for altitude was it? The HP seems kinda high for up here but I guess the 450 was supposed to be around 52 stock right?

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2008 - 08:27 PM

That dyno run wasn't corrected for altitude was it?

Not sure. I'll dig it up and see. Either way, Eddie ran a stock '06 CRF the same day as a comparison, and the Honda put up .5 less.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.