Second oill change

10 replies to this topic
  • Windseeker

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:09 PM

You might find this interesting - that's the second oil change on a 08 YZ450F. I took the the scotts filter out to have a close look at the debri and found this monstrous piece of metal among smaller non metallic crap... Never thought such things could travel inside a healthy sounding and pulling bike.... Or should I start to worry?

Posted Image

Posted Image

:thumbsup:

• USED YZ426F

Posted April 10, 2008 - 03:17 PM

Did that come out of the inside of the filter? Or was it stuck to the outside like it is in the pic?

It looks like a small piece of wire or something similar in the pic.
Does it look like that in real life? Or is it more of a metal sliver?

• todds924

Posted April 10, 2008 - 03:20 PM

You might find this interesting - that's the second oil change on a 08 YZ450F. I took the the scotts filter out to have a close look at the debri and found this monstrous piece of metal among smaller non metallic crap... Never thought such things could travel inside a healthy sounding and pulling bike.... Or should I start to worry?

Posted Image

Posted Image

:thumbsup:

Wow! that looks pretty extreme. How did it look after the first oil change? And were you still using the stock filter at that point? I have seen some CRF filters that looked like that which had the crankshafts going out:eek:

• biznet1

Posted April 10, 2008 - 03:28 PM

I believe the flakes are normal for a new motor. The larger piece probably dropped in there during the building process. I would pull the filter every hour or so riding time and check it until you're sure that's all it was. It doesn't look like a mechanical defect to me, because if it was, your bike would probably have grenaded by now (assuming 2nd oil change equals 10 hrs).

• Windseeker

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:58 PM

1) It was outside on the filter surface.
2) loked like not wire but the edge of hole sawn off thingy...
3) it was (it is) a new metallic scotts filter - it was its first service
4) bike has only 5 hours....
5) inside the filter was nice and clean - I made sure when I washed the filter the gas that I washed the otside with does not get inside.... Then I used pressured air to dry the filter (fron inside out only)
6) yeah - probably checking that filter every hour would be a wise thing....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Windseeker

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:59 PM

yep - the correct word is metal sliver... :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:47 PM

None of it looks particularly worrisome to me. This sort of thing is not unusual for a brand new bike, really. Check again next oil change.

• Slinkyman16

Posted April 10, 2008 - 10:12 PM

you will be amazed at what stuff you will find after the first few oil changes. it took about 3 for all my slivers and debris to be non existent. and you were smart and bought a good oil filter in the first place, so you cought even more then i did..

• clutchless

Posted April 11, 2008 - 07:37 AM

i usually use paper oil filters for the first 3 -5 oil changes then switch to scott's. Change the oil after every ride. heard that paper filters a little better then the scotts does and are better during the break in period.

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2008 - 10:12 AM

heard that paper filters a little better then the scotts does and are better during the break in period.

Review this, then decide:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• clutchless

Posted April 11, 2008 - 10:28 AM

Review this, then decide:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

no thanks. all good.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.