Header Wrap

4 replies to this topic

Posted April 10, 2008 - 12:49 PM

Has anyone wraped their header, if so did it help or hurt? I know it works on cars to keep heat in the pipe which is good for getting gases out faster and keeping other parts cooler but would it make a difference on my bike. I have an 05 wr450 with most of the free mods and some jetting done to it

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:47 PM

I have done this.

It is a total and complete waste of time.

Are you looking for more power, or are you just looking for something work on? If that's the case, you shouldn't have a Yamaha. They are as maintenance free as they come.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1up5dn

Posted April 10, 2008 - 10:00 PM

The used '06 WR450 I bought had heat wrap on it, but it wasn't for performance. He had to install it to keep it from heating the fuel in his desert tank. When I bought the bike it had the stock tank back on it and I removed the wrap first thing. Wow, what a mess it was and now the exhaust is UGLY!

I wouldn't do it unless you have to, it doesn't help the performance at all.

• DeeCee

Posted April 11, 2008 - 04:01 AM

I wrapped the header on my YZ400. I did this to stop burning my riding pants on the exhaust.

Works just fine for this purpose no side effects noticed - except I don't burn my pants now.

• hillclimbguy

Posted April 11, 2008 - 06:32 AM

I did the same thing on a 98YZ400. No performance gain. Just stop burning my pant leg. Looks like crap but did the job. What a tank compared to the newer bikes

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.