Carb drainage question

7 replies to this topic
  • Windseeker

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:19 AM

Somewhere recently in a thread I read that lifting the clear tubes that come down from the carb helps preventing engine stalling during water crossings....

We know this is an issue with YZ (and WRs) so normally do the crossings WOT with clutch slip so as to keep the engine going.

There are 5 (?) transparent tubes coming down - do I need to raise the whole lot? I think there are couple of tubes for gas overflow or smth.....

Tomorrow we are off to a weekend to ride the remote (no cellphone or fuel anyting for 70 kms) area with 1200 m pass and then down to the sea line with lots of streams and following the river bed - so lots of water ahead... I have couple of hours tomorrow to do smth extra to protect the bike from water...

Any suggestions are welcome... :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:27 AM

Somewhere recently in a thread I read that lifting the clear tubes that come down from the carb helps preventing engine stalling during water crossings....

We know this is an issue with YZ (and WRs) so normally do the crossings WOT with clutch slip so as to keep the engine going.

There are 5 (?) transparent tubes coming down - do I need to raise the whole lot? I think there are couple of tubes for gas overflow or smth.....

Tomorrow we are off to a weekend to ride the remote (no cellphone or fuel anyting for 70 kms) area with 1200 m pass and then down to the sea line with lots of streams and following the river bed - so lots of water ahead... I have couple of hours tomorrow to do smth extra to protect the bike from water...

Any suggestions are welcome... :thumbsup:

yea do not ever stop while the bike is in water period. Never start the bike if the bottom of frame is even close to water..it will be sux'ed up into the motor.
And this is another reason ZipTy cuts 3 of the the carb tubes that create vacuum. Keep in mind all the carb tubes do not create vacuum.
Some water riders will reroute the oil breather tube - to the airbox.

• Windseeker

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:36 AM

Yeah - I ve done the re routing of the breather tube - that a must for our terrain here... So I need only three tubes out. I checked one tube - the one that runs fuel when you lean the bike - that's one to leave down... now what's the other....

• Ga426owner

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:15 AM

ZipTy cut the front tube(from the top of carb) and the rear tube (short) on carb are the ones that are cut shorter. They do not go through the vent tube clamp

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:05 AM

If you take the two tubes that exit the carb body pointing upward on either side of the slide and run those up and into the air box, you will accomplish the same thing as if you shortened them (breaking the vacuum) and perhaps have a little better protection.

• William1

Posted April 10, 2008 - 12:09 PM

+2 on Grayracer's comment, though I do not route them in the airbox, rather I route them under the tank, as high as possible.

• Windseeker

Posted April 10, 2008 - 01:57 PM

Ok - will do these tubes today and report the effect after the ride on Monday! :thumbsup:
Thanks guys.

• Windseeker

Posted April 14, 2008 - 07:39 PM

Thats what I done 10 min before leaving the garage for our epic weekend ride :thumbsup:
The effect was present - no issues when passing streams (although there were few and low water all around these weeks). Still 6 hours ride 80 km and not a single soul first 40 km till we reached the beaches.
The other YZ coughed and stuff when passing the same streams though. Highly reccomended mod.

http://ecartman.spac...4E1CB4760C!889/

http://pics.livejour...r/pic/0002fs9k/

thanks for the advise again :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.