Temp gauge?

10 replies to this topic
  • Chaindrive

Posted May 03, 2002 - 03:44 AM

Has anyone found or figured a way to mount an effective temperature gauge on their WR ?

I would think this would provide useful and accurate information on the effects of everything from timing to jetting to octane to synthetic oil and gearing changes and riding style and more.

Aside from "operator-error", it seems to me that excessive heat is the primary threat to these bikes. Without a gauge, "HOT" is simply too relative and subjective.

• fastmonstr

Posted May 03, 2002 - 11:32 AM

I don't know about the WR, but Al Bakers XR's Only makes one for the XR400 etc. It replaces the dipstick and gives an engine oil temp rating.

• WR_Dave

Posted May 03, 2002 - 12:09 PM

Checkout your friendly neighborhood Snap-on Dealer and pickup the Blue Point infrared heat gun for about $50.00 U.S. Then all you do is point and read the temps of everything on the bike. Just mho!

• fastmonstr

Posted May 08, 2002 - 07:17 AM

The heat guns are cool, but they wont do you any good out on the trail

• WR_Dave

Posted May 08, 2002 - 02:36 PM

I have a combination backpack/camelback and it fits in there just fine thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • millertyme

Posted May 08, 2002 - 05:29 PM

pick up a copy of Radio Controled Car Action. A company called MIP makes a digital temp gauge small enough for RC cars that can be mounted any where on your bike. They sell for about $35.

• nebraska400

Posted May 08, 2002 - 05:44 PM

Check into karting products. There are about a million old "digatron" tach/CHT gauges. They sell at swap meets for 5 bucks, as they were they thing to have about 15 years ago. They arent to big to put on your bars, either. Just a thought... there are alot of karting companies that sell online.. arcracing.com comes to mind first. Hope this helps.

• nebraska400

Posted May 08, 2002 - 05:50 PM

www.4cycle.com...goto the forums, then classifieds and then engine parts... there are even some for sale. Most karting loggers and tachs allow for different types of leads, for water, head, exhaust, etc. Hope this helps

• SFO

Posted May 08, 2002 - 05:51 PM

There are also the heat stickers that you can affix to your motor that read surface heat.
Or try Goodson and get a melt away tell tale.
I would say trying to jet by engine temp would be a tough call...
Even doing it by ex. temp with a sensor in your pipe is difficult on a trail/mx bike due to the non steady throttle positions inherent in the riding we do.

• Chaindrive

Posted May 09, 2002 - 06:55 PM

Thanks Guys! I'm just real curious as to the range of temps the bike endures. Part of the reason I like the Flatland radiator guards so much was the stock plastic louvers tended to lay flat like closed venetian blinds, I really think there is a difference in temp now.

I'm getting ready to TT-mod my WR (YZ time, Taffy jetting, grey wire, exhaust,etc.). Thought I'd wait till riding season, put some hours on it in case I forgot how it felt last fall, then start the mods. Keeping track of temp differences might be interesting. Must be the truck-driver in me, but I CRAVE engine info from gauges...

I also worry at times about chasing my boys. The youngest makes me ride pretty slow at times and get on and off (leaving it run). I realize the plug will tell a lot more about jetting, but as I try to "sneak up" on "lean enough", I don't want to cook anything.

A tach is nice, but oil pressure and coolant temp are the life or death of engines IMHO. I'll check out those cart gauges and talk to my Snap-On tool buddy @ heat gun. I need good baseline readings prior to the mods.

• SealClubber

Posted May 11, 2002 - 04:34 AM

I remeber seeing a post about a temp guage that replaced the radiator cap. I couldn't find it in the archives though. Anyone have any info?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.