my 450 sounds weak

18 replies to this topic
  • mattcanWR450F

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:16 PM

Ok here's the deal. I have a 2007 wr 450 with an FMF Titaniam slip on, and my buddy has a KTM 450 with a stock exaust. My bike sounds like a friggin TTR compaired to his bike !!!! what the heck. Why doesnt my bike have that deep sound like his? Do I need to buy a powerbomb header or something?

Does the bike sound different after I do the AIS mod and the Airbox mod????

• redswr

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:24 PM

opening the airbox up will make it louder... do you have the quite insert for your pipe?

• mattcanWR450F

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:49 PM

No. I don't think it has a quiet insert. But i'm pretty sure it has a spark arrestor. It just doesnt make sense, they are both 450's.

• MaxPower

Posted April 10, 2008 - 12:46 AM

[COLOR="Green"]and I assume you did all the other free stuff to the bike?You did the throttle thingie right?

They arent weak bikes. Not at all. Unleashed they are almost monsters.You do not need a head pipe for that thing to rip
Take any insert out of the pipe .
Something is wrong
Opening up the airbox cant hurt unless you are riding in the water
[/COLOR]

• clark4131

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:13 AM

As long as the bike performs, who cares if it's quiet? It's in your best interest to keep it that way...SC

• mattcanWR450F

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:47 AM

I haven't done any of the mods yet. That AIS removal kit is in the mail now. As of right now all that i have done is put the pipe on it. I think it sounds good, but when my buddy rides with me, his sounds badass compared to mine.

• drtbk4ever

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:42 AM

I haven't done any of the mods yet. That AIS removal kit is in the mail now. As of right now all that i have done is put the pipe on it. I think it sounds good, but when my buddy rides with me, his sounds badass compared to mine.

It sounds to me like you are being the responsible rider by optimizing the performance of your machine while not being obnoxiously loud.

If you want to blow your buddy out of the water with noise, then take off the silencer and just run the header. May run like crap, but it will be "badass".

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 10, 2008 - 03:27 PM

All KTM stock exhausts have a little bark to them. I think its because they have a longer stroke

• WR450RICKO

Posted April 10, 2008 - 03:55 PM

Install AIS kit completely. Bike will be much loader but still within 96db range. You might need to play with the fuel screw a little bit to get it right for your riding conditions. Mine is 2.5 out and runs great and has for the past 2 years. (06')
Have fun

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Demo_Slug

Posted April 10, 2008 - 04:31 PM

where did you get a FMF titainuim for a 07 WR450? or is it the Q4 titainium?

its not listed on the FMF website.
http://www.fmfracing...x?CategoryID=40

• tweav

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:52 PM

most likely it's a fmf speed titanium Like the one on my 07. Fmf made them for Parts Unlimited that was the only place you could get it .

Posted Image

• hillclimbguy

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hey man, my hat off to you, if your bike is quiet and quick, leave it alone. We dont need to draw attention to ourselves. We need to blend in and be left alone.

• mattcanWR450F

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:45 PM

Sorry its not a titanium, the pipe is blue and it says TI Powercore.

• mattcanWR450F

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:47 PM

Hey tweav, where did you get those graphics and that little rack at???

• tweav

Posted April 11, 2008 - 11:36 AM

the rack is from promoto billet . and the graphics are for a 06-08 yz . I got them from fmf but they don't fit a wr , I have a ims tank with yz tank shrouds

http://www.fmfracing...?CategoryID=202

http://www.promotobi...ex.php/cPath/24

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 11, 2008 - 11:50 AM

I want a quiet as hell pipe! I just put on a Q4 and would like it to be even more quiet:excuseme: I know stock is quieter but we all know how well they run with that dead weight of a pipe!

• Nostalgic

Posted April 12, 2008 - 11:49 AM

Wish mine was quieter too. I would even sacrifice some of the power I don't use to get it that way but oh well.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 12, 2008 - 05:18 PM

How are you sure what it sounds like? It's hard to tell unless you're behind it. My bike has the same exhaust and is loud as hell(really helps for people pulling out in front of you). TI equals titanium.......

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 12, 2008 - 10:38 PM

Its probably just the FMF pipe.

The reason I say that is because I was watching the step up competition on ESPN 2 today and Brian Deegan's CRF 450R was the quietest bike of the bunch. That was the only bike in the field that you could hear the intake noise over the exhaust note for about the first 1/2 of throttle travel. By comparison all the other 4 strokes (including RC's thundering factory Suzuki) were much louder.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.