New XR650L

8 replies to this topic
  • Gorloch

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:50 PM

I just recently purchased a brand new 2007 XR650L. In 2 weeks i have put 500 miles on it.

I have Desmogged
Desnorkled
Dj kit & a 55 pilot
Ground the welds in the header

I am going to wait a bit before i put a nice slip on, on it. I was kinda wanting to know what oil, and filters you guys use, and also what you think I should use for the first couple of oil changes. Like if i should use synthetic or not.

I am already seeing a good deal of wear on the stock Trailwing that came on it. I have seen alot of people talk about running the Mt21, and D606. Has anyone tried that Michelin Baja racing/cross country tire? Anyway enough questions, i have found from reading posts you are all nice and very knowledgable, Thanks so much.:thumbsup:

• Memnok

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:32 PM

Welcome to TT! I can't help you since I just rode my 2007 XRL home two weeks ago! Hope you are having as much fun with yours as I am with mine! :thumbsup:

• desert4seat

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:39 PM

Congrats on the new purchase & welcome to TT!

Don’t use synthetic oil just yet – it works “too good” on new motors. Let the motor break in first. I’d wait till about 2,500 miles before using synthetic.

And don’t go easy on the break-in either. Use lots of engine brake.

Yeah, get rid of those stock tires (they suck bad!) get a real DP tire (and heavy duty tube)… those 2 you mentioned are good. And…while you’re at it, make sure you install a wheel lock on the rear (never could figure out why these bikes don’t come with one).

Have fun!
:thumbsup:

• Purcell69

Posted April 10, 2008 - 01:55 AM

Congratulations on the new bike.I got mine in the end of December and just cleared 2,000 miles. I'm the same set-up, except I have a uni filter and the stock slow jet. The 55 was too rich at idle.

I "screwed up" when I took the bike to the dealership for the first service. The advisor asked if I wanted to use synthetic for the first OC. Since he asked, I said what the heck. I've been running synthetic since 575 miles and haven't had any issues, other than over-filling the bike by about a quart, because I thought it was low.

I've checked it after riding each time immediately after shut-down and the level is holding between the two "p's" in the word "Upper" on the stick.

I'd stay with the dino oil until you're fully broke in. I'm not, simply because I hate to switch back and forth.

I'm still running the stock rear and most all of my miles are highway, except a few rips around the pastures. I'll run it until it gets pretty used up, but not bald. Since there isn't much legitimate off-road riding here in Oklahoma I doubt I will go any more aggressive than a 50/50 tire. The Cheng Shin C858 has worked well for me in the past on other bikes. I figure since I don't get off-road enough and the tire doesn't usually last more than about 3,000 miles, there is no point in spending a lot of money for a rear tire.

Most of the enjoyment I am getting from the new ride, other that mods,
is the commuting and errands, though I want to get some off-roading in later this year. If I find a place that I like and it is not too far away, I may get a spare rear rim off e-bay and put something aggressive on it for days off, riding the dirt.

Enjoy the new ride and when you change the oil, be sure to only put one quart back in, start the bike and run it for a few minutes, and then add the rest! I found this out the hard way with oil going everywhere. The frame will only hold about 1.75-1.85 quarts when you go to refill it after an oil change, until the motor has been run.

-Joe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:38 AM

I just recently purchased a brand new 2007 XR650L. In 2 weeks i have put 500 miles on it.

I have Desmogged
Desnorkled
Dj kit & a 55 pilot
Ground the welds in the header

I am going to wait a bit before i put a nice slip on, on it. I was kinda wanting to know what oil, and filters you guys use, and also what you think I should use for the first couple of oil changes. Like if i should use synthetic or not.

I am already seeing a good deal of wear on the stock Trailwing that came on it. I have seen alot of people talk about running the Mt21, and D606. Has anyone tried that Michelin Baja racing/cross country tire? Anyway enough questions, i have found from reading posts you are all nice and very knowledgable, Thanks so much.:thumbsup:

I would go with either the White Brothers E2 or FMF Q2 for a slip on eitheir one will make a difference! I use Castrol GTX 20-50W and a stainless steel mesh filter, I wash it out with brake / parts cleaner aerosol and then blow dry with compressed air. Oil prefernce is different for everyone, I use the dino oil because - well I always have! and it is good oil. I am using the D606 tires and very happy with them. I recently changed a MT21 for a friend of mine and was not impressed with the deep beaded sidewall, pain in the arse to get the bead to break - but then again this tire had been on that rim a long LONG time.

• Kenzo

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:00 AM

i just did my first serious offroad ride with a 606 on the rear(stocker up front... i'm a cheap bastard) and it works very well...

also unless u do a lot of highway or commuting a 14T sprocket up front is a great addition...

as long as its a motorcycle compatable oil and heavy weight(15-40w or 20-50w prefered) AND don't overfill :thumbsup: ur gud to go...

:thumbsup:

P.S. ...the PO put a SuperTrapp Race on my bike and it makes power if u can handle the volume...i also ground down the restrictive header welds.

• Gorloch

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. About the 14t sprocket, up here in Kansas the majority of off road riding is on mile lines, and fast fire trails. I find even with stock suspension setup the bike handles 60 to 70 mph very easily.

The 55 pilot is a bit rich right now due to the stock filter, but not to worry i have a UNI on the way.

I was looking very heavily at the FMF Q2 pipe that was mentioned. In the mean time has anyone tried to drill extra holes in the baffle to increase the flow of the stock can????

Also last but not least i would love to have put more miles on mine since i got it in late march, but rainy weather has put a hamper on that, and i found out quickly the stocker tires hate deep sand and loose mud, So that keeps me from playing in the mud. Looking forward to the summer.
Thanks guys.

• 52wheelz

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:49 PM

I'm on my second XRL, an '04 and now the '07, great bike. I run Conn. TKC80 tires on the front and rear and they work very well on and off road. I also run Dunlop 606's when I'm primarily off road but they are noisy when riding on road.

I have actually left the jetting stock and have had no issues. I've run the bike at 11,600 feet and -282 feet in Death Valley. I actually like the stock jetting. I never could get my jetting dialed in on my '04 so I left it alone on my '07 and couldn't be happier.

I'm sure I could get more horsepower by doing engine mods but I like it stock so I have left the engine, carb and exhaust stock.

I have added hand guards, rack, Dirt Bagz, ProTapers, Skid Plate, rim locks front and rear and heavy duty tubes. I also added a Cee Baily Wind Screen and a Corbin Seat. Great bike for riding anywhere but for those 1200 mile weekend rides, I take the BMW R1200GS Adventure.

The XRL will go places the GSA won't but the GSA in more comfortable for those 13 hour days in the saddle.

• Bibleman

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I give the FMF Q2 a big thumbs up. I cant vouch for performance gains since I did a whole bunch of mods at once, but the sound is awesome in my opinion and not too loud.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.