Will stiffening 650L suspension make it feel lighter?

14 replies to this topic
  • tgstoken

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:13 PM

My 650L is heavy. Ya, I know that. But for some reason, I just cant seem to part with it. First off, I weigh 200lbs, before gear. My L is running totally stock suspension, with a lowering link installed. My problem is, the suspension just feels too mushy, does making the suspension stiffer make the bike feel lighter in the rough stuff? My front bottoms out over the smallest bump/jump and the rear is just squishy. What would be a good setup for a 200+lb rider that likes to tackle ugly trails? Try to keep things on a reasonable budget.

• knuklehead

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:32 PM

I say YES. Springs make a big diff in how these bikes feel. Re sprung my L when I had one and resprung the R allso. I like .49 in the forks and 11kg on the rear. I'm prob 210 in gear ready to ride and ranked as an A rider dist 36

• Kenzo

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:29 AM

ur lowering links ever so slightly changes the suspension geometery and actually softens the rear suspension...cranking up the preload will help but a stiffer spring is the real answer...

i'm the same weight and the stock suspension is near it's limits with the addition of some preload and 5psi air in the front forks...but be careful with air or "...ur gunna put ur eye out!" :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:18 AM

I just went from the stock suspension to stiffer springs and thicker fluid up front- haven't really had a chance to try it, but it feels a bit more responsive.

• RipperFox

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Where would one get a stiffer spring. RaceTech only has two options. Anywhere else?

• Denn10

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:14 AM

trully if your something like 220 with gear and riding aggressively you will definitely like springs setup for your weight and riding style. As for making the bike feel lighter, uhhhh it will feel different cuz it will not be bottoming out and all. How your suspension is setup makes a huge difference in how it feels and how well you can ride certain terrains. I am heavier than you and still on stock suspension and for just cruising its ok but right when i get offroad a little i can definitely not ride to the full potential cuz its too soft. I would say get the springs for sure, you wont be dissapointed with it. Nothing is more important that correct suspension setup in my opinion.

• martinfan30

Posted April 10, 2008 - 11:33 AM

Damn right Denn!

That can cause you to go down in deep, sandy whoops!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kenzo

Posted April 10, 2008 - 01:35 PM

...there is one very gud way to make ur bike feel much lighter...

...ride and pick up a downed KLR! :thumbsup: ...nearly 100lbs heavier than a XRL that has been put on a diet...and that weight is carried high...

...so what springs shud one use for a 220ish load???

• Denn10

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Damn right Denn!

That can cause you to go down in deep, sandy whoops!:thumbsup:

dont worry brother i was so close to joining you eating some fine desert, we all have our times and i think mine are over for a while. Hopefully never as badly as bruce but 5 surgeries all within 2 years was enough for me!!

found this doing some carb research so i figured id post it since you were asking about spring rates. Now these are not fine tuned to what style riding ie desert to mx/supercross, but will get you close.

some differences but thats normal, go to the suspension forum and ask and i guarantee you will have people telling you different rates, why? im not sure really but i guess its like alot some tuners have a different preferance in what spring rate to use for the exact same bike with rider so who knows but these both should be close.

• Irwin

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:49 PM

That is great information for the spring rates. I used and Eibach spring on my DR and the recommended/available spring weight was too soft. One reason I think this was because I added a Kuba link and the rates from Eibach are for stock links. I wish they would have the option/research analysis for bikes with lowering links since alot of of use them.. I would go with a stiffer spring than what Eibach recommends if using a lowering link.

• Denn10

Posted April 11, 2008 - 06:19 AM

for sure if your using a lowering link your changing the geometry of the linkage and springs will be different than the stock reccomendations. Race Tech, Eibach there all good springs and Eibach is a site sponsor. There is a TT member "Ryan at eibach" i think but hes in suspension forum alot and you can PM him for more detailed setup choices.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 11, 2008 - 06:33 AM

I noted on the 93 XR650L that I just finished with that it has an a stiffer suspension setup, rear shock and fork srpings have been changed by previous owner, it does feel different in the trails, but still way too heavy for serious woods work. Prefer my XR250R for that.

• Glockem

Posted May 20, 2008 - 09:13 AM

What is the stock suspension in out xr650l's? What spring rates come from the factory in these bikes?

• RipperFox

Posted May 20, 2008 - 09:45 AM

.44 springs on the front

10.5 kg/mm on the back

type 43C

• Glockem

Posted May 20, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Wow, I guess I will need a lot of help then on my bike b/c I am 265 lbs and 6'3" on my 2006 xr650l. Might be time to get some Ohlins suspension under me. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.