new guy here... just got a XR650L

12 replies to this topic
  • -ride4life-

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:11 PM

Whats up, just picked up my 2008 xr650L a couple weeks ago!! Being a die hard Honda fan I gotta say I am real happy with it. Cant wait to uncork the "PIG":applause: And for all you L haters:blah: i dont wanna hear it, they dont sell a new street legal R, or i would have bought one!!! I got my 450 for rippin :thumbsup: up! So how much power difference will i get when do the usuall uncorking? Any recomendations on a good pipe? I think ill take the Dyno jet kit.. and already replaced filter/ took snorkel off. Oh yeah this is my first dual sport bike and nothin like RIDING whenever i want! Its like over the counter crack :thumbsup: (if they had it)!

• dstark

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:24 PM

I cant give you numbers but you can expect a noticable differance,
I put a supertrapp IDS2 on my piggy, I also got the DJ kit, was not very pleased with it, the only thing I ended up useing was the spring. Do daves mods and maybe some lower gearing and you'll be happy!

• Purcell69

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:14 AM

Congratulations on the new L. I have the DJ kit, slide drilled, desmogged, Uni filter, desnorkled, header welds ground, and a bigger tank. The only thing I am lacking is a gear change and the exhaust. The stock tank was too small for my liking, so I went with a Clarke 4.0 gallon. Most days I can ride 120-150 miles before I hit reserve.

The power increase is pretty dramatic for very little expense. The only issue I have is the stock gearing is pretty steep at 55-60 MPH. The bike chugs a little in 5th gear. Given the counter shaft issues, I'd rather not chug it too much, but I don't want to give up much in the way of economy either.

Now that I have the oil level issue corrected, I'm getting between 45 and 50 MPG on the highway at 65 MPH. I had been unknowingly running close to an extra quart of oil in the system and my fuel economy had been no better than 43, and routinely saw 39 MPG. This is a pretty big drop when my modded DR350 was getting 55-60 MPG.

I do have plans for a WB E2 at some point, but no plans for the pipe at this time. I'm pretty happy with the amount of power I now have and the economy that comes with it. With gas being what it is, I use the bike to commute every chance I get. It's also great to take out and play.

Enjoy your new ride and welcome.

-Joe

• Bibleman

Posted April 10, 2008 - 04:19 AM

Its like over the counter crack :thumbsup: (if they had it)![/QUOTE]

Hmm, I've been trying to come up with a name for my bike. "Over-the-counter-crack" is as good as any!!:thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:24 AM

The most notable power difference is in "drivability" if that's a word. Cold starts are easy and the bike idles and responds to throttle even cold! simply said the engine is breathing in and out like it should - when uncorked and receiving the proper amount of fuel through the intake for combustion and then having the ability to expel the burnt charge quickly, via a free flowing pipe makes all the difference. Like I said biggest difference is in overall feel of the power the engine has and uncorked it pulls like a freight train on steroids. Stock it is a bit anemic - simply because it is getting insufficient fuel and cannot expel it very quickly once burned, think of a stock motor like a bad asthma attack in a human being.

• Kenzo

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:46 AM

Hmm, I've been trying to come up with a name for my bike. "Over-the-counter-crack" is as good as any!!:ride:

i prefer the name "booty call"...u know(or maybe not :thumbsup:)...

...that gal that's always available and ready to ride at a moments notice...:confused:

congrats on the new ride...i concur with "Dave's Mods" over the DJ Kit...a 14T sprocket is also a must have in my book.

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:37 AM

congratulations and WELCOME TO TT!! Where in CA are you?

Alot of members thru socal to norcal area, maybe someone close to get together and ride and help you out if needed.

• martinfan30

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:45 AM

Whats up, just picked up my 2008 xr650L a couple weeks ago!! Being a die hard Honda fan I gotta say I am real happy with it. Cant wait to uncork the "PIG":applause: And for all you L haters:blah: i dont wanna hear it, they dont sell a new street legal R, or i would have bought one!!! I got my 450 for rippin :thumbsup: up! So how much power difference will i get when do the usuall uncorking? Any recomendations on a good pipe? I think ill take the Dyno jet kit.. and already replaced filter/ took snorkel off. Oh yeah this is my first dual sport bike and nothin like RIDING whenever i want! Its like over the counter crack :thumbsup: (if they had it)!

Congrats and welcome to TT bro! First thing, get rid of that white headlight plastic! Uncorking and a cam made my L rip pretty good, along with 14/48 gearing. I use 15/48 when i do more on road.

The R guys arent that bad, just rode with a bunch recently. Its all in good fun!

Make sure to get a 55 pilot with your DJET kit, doesnt come with one.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:47 AM

i prefer the name "booty call"...u know(or maybe not :thumbsup:)...

...that gal that's always available and ready to ride at a moments notice...:confused:

congrats on the new ride...i concur with "Dave's Mods" over the DJ Kit...a 14T sprocket is also a must have in my book.

:thumbsup:

I have names for all of my bikes...

2005 XR650L = BIG RED (not very original I know)
1993 XR650L = Baja Buggy (looks like it is ready for it)
1986 XL600R = sixhunny
2004 XR250R = lil Red

The vintage XL's;

"The boys"...or old boy.

• -ride4life-

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:48 PM

thanks for the replys, cool sight. Im in Temecula area.. Any of you around this area want to go for a ride sometime let me know! I hear alot about the dynojet and daves carbs seems like its about 50/50 so im still debating that! Also think im gonna go for the white brothers E2, some boy scouts i passed on the trail yelled out "that thing sounds like a lawnmower"(no really they did)!!! Cant be havin that!

• martinfan30

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:53 PM

thanks for the replys, cool sight. Im in Temecula area.. Any of you around this area want to go for a ride sometime let me know! I hear alot about the dynojet and daves carbs seems like its about 50/50 so im still debating that! Also think im gonna go for the white brothers E2, some boy scouts i passed on the trail yelled out "that thing sounds like a lawnmower"(no really they did)!!! Cant be havin that!

DENN10 I think lives somewhere down there near you. Just stay away from his offers of going into his camp trailer...

The E2 is a great choice. Sounds good and not as loud as the E series.

• jetfuel

Posted April 10, 2008 - 04:47 PM

DENN10 I think lives somewhere down there near you. Just stay away from his offers of going into his camp trailer...

The E2 is a great choice. Sounds good and not as loud as the E series.

AWWW Man... He can go in, hes the New guy....:thumbsup:

Welcome to TT Ride4life..:thumbsup:

• sloughrider

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:10 PM

I've got friends in the temeku hills area and one in particular that is always buggin' me to ride up there more. He's usually on his ktm, so look for him, and I'll send him a heads-up and see if he can make it for a ride. And if he does ride with you, don't believe any stories he tells you about my rides with him, they r all lies! most of them anyway.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.