Grey wire mod - Is there a downside?

10 replies to this topic
  • Face plant

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:54 PM

My mate and I both have WR450s and we did the mod and noticed the difference immediately but he's been asking
"Will it shorten my service intervals?" :thumbsup:
"Will it shorten my engine life?" :confused:
"Am I gonna have to rebuild it like a YZf because its firing like one now?":excuseme:
I don't know the answer, I didn't think so but ............Anyone? :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 10, 2008 - 07:04 AM

I've never seen or read any downsides but thats just my opinion. Just clean your airfilter meticulously and often as well as your oil.

• WRC

Posted April 10, 2008 - 12:13 PM

The only down side I had with it was too much engine braking coming down hills with no throttle. I changed it back, it has more than enough power for me:ride:

• MaxPower

Posted April 11, 2008 - 01:02 AM

[COLOR="Green"]the downside for me is the roost in my friends face from my bike. I guess Ill learn to deal with the problem as it doesnt effect me all that much[/COLOR]

• Mark_NZ

Posted April 11, 2008 - 02:12 AM

[COLOR="Green"]the downside for me is the roost in my friends face from my bike. I guess Ill learn to deal with the problem as it doesnt effect me all that much[/COLOR]

It will effect you when one day he gets ahead of you.....

No one ever forgets a good roosting

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mmm0042

Posted April 11, 2008 - 12:16 PM

From my limited understanding, the grey wire has to do with emissions and other requirements for the bike due to classification. I have not heard of any downsides in the way of maintence, service, engine life, etc.

• drtbk4ever

Posted April 11, 2008 - 12:47 PM

It is going to have a negative impact on your marriage, because you are going to want to ride more.

• Face plant

Posted April 11, 2008 - 08:43 PM

It is going to have a negative impact on your marriage, because you are going to want to ride more.

Ah well I'll be able to ride as much as I want then.......every cloud has a silver lining ay:naughty:

• byggd

Posted April 12, 2008 - 04:06 AM

The down side is you will need to replace the rear tire more often ..... but look at the bright side, your front tire will last twice as long.

• taycam

Posted April 12, 2008 - 06:23 AM

The down side is you will need to replace the rear tire more often ..... but look at the bright side, your front tire will last twice as long.

Now thats the way too put it!!!.......yee hah:applause:

• MountainMax

Posted April 13, 2008 - 01:09 PM

The grey wire also makes a change in Sound, this is the reason it's there so the wr's can meat sound emmisions by adjusting the timing, so it will affect power slightly as well....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.