RAD Wheels

9 replies to this topic
  • Pilate74

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:21 PM

The fedx guy just dropped off a set rad econo wheels at my house. They look pretty darn good. They come with their CACR brand rims, heavy duty spokes and hubs with oversize bearings. Their econo hubs are the same as their regular hubs except the do not have the weight saving holes drilled in them. The spokes look good and are thicker than stock. The rims are thicker than stock and they have a nice finish. They also included new sprocket bolts and a spoke wrench. The only thing I wish they would have added were some new rimlocks. I will test them out in the desert later this month. If the rims do not hold up I will get some excels laced up. I think these wheels are a good buy at slightly less than 700$ from Thumpertalk.

• Blacksamwell

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:19 PM

I've been eyeing the very same wheels. Thanks for posting your first impression.

What color combo did you get? :thumbsup:

• Pilate74

Posted April 10, 2008 - 04:42 AM

I've been eyeing the very same wheels. Thanks for posting your first impression.

What color combo did you get? :thumbsup:

I got the red hubs with the black rims. The spoke nipples are SS. I also upgraded the rear to 36 spoke, like the MX bikes.

• Stinky97

Posted April 29, 2008 - 03:03 AM

The fedx guy just dropped off a set rad econo wheels at my house. They look pretty darn good. They come with their CACR brand rims, heavy duty spokes and hubs with oversize bearings. Their econo hubs are the same as their regular hubs except the do not have the weight saving holes drilled in them. The spokes look good and are thicker than stock. The rims are thicker than stock and they have a nice finish. They also included new sprocket bolts and a spoke wrench. The only thing I wish they would have added were some new rimlocks. I will test them out in the desert later this month. If the rims do not hold up I will get some excels laced up. I think these wheels are a good buy at slightly less than 700$ from Thumpertalk.

Pilate74,

please follow up with reviews,,,, I am looking at the Econo hub with Excel rims for my dr-z400sm... need dirt wheels for the trails..

• RudeRoosting 440

Posted April 30, 2008 - 07:59 AM

A friend just bought a set of wheels with gold Rad hubs and black excel wheels. They look very, very nice. The spokes look like polished stainless steel, and the hubs are trick. I'll take a pic today and add it to the thread.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pilate74

Posted April 30, 2008 - 12:54 PM

Pilate74,

please follow up with reviews,,,, I am looking at the Econo hub with Excel rims for my dr-z400sm... need dirt wheels for the trails..

I got around to installing the new wheels. Everthing fit really well except that the rear was not drilled for a rimlock. No problem for me to drill the hole. It just took a little time to find the drill bit ect.. When you order remind the salesman that your bike will need rimlocks for the knobbies. The DRZ has plenty of power to spin the rear tire on the rim and rip out the vavle stem. I was only able to take the bike on a dirt road but I could tell the rims ran really true. My brakes and rotors are shot. I did not recevie the new ones in time for my desert trip. I ended up taking my jeep instead. Ups brought my stuff on the day I returened:banghead: I have two new braking wave rotors to install and also need to change fluid. I really whished I could have taken the bike through the rocks to see if the CACR rims will take the abuse. The factory DID rims were pretty good, but these look alot tougher. I am going to relace my factory hubs with these rims as well. They are only 60 bux so if they last a year I will be happy. Alittle more on the RAD hubs they look bomb proof compared to the stock ones. You can also get new bearings at the parts store. The wheel adaptors were specific to those hubs and they provide no means to run a mechanical speedo. I ditched the factory speedo years ago and went with a trailtech. I will try to get some miles on the new rims next month.

• Pilate74

Posted December 28, 2008 - 04:45 AM

I was able to test the rad wheels out during x-mas. I did 200 miles. Most of it was rocky rough dirt roads. The bike took a few big rock hits. No dents in the rad wheels. I am pleased with the way they performed. I think the rad wheels will hold up to dual sport and moderate off road really well. I may order a set for my yamaha 250 and I will try them out in the nasty stuff.

• Itchykawa

Posted December 28, 2008 - 07:44 AM

I was able to test the rad wheels out during x-mas. I did 200 miles. Most of it was rocky rough dirt roads. The bike took a few big rock hits. No dents in the rad wheels. I am pleased with the way they performed. I think the rad wheels will hold up to dual sport and moderate off road really well. I may order a set for my yamaha 250 and I will try them out in the nasty stuff.

Would you say they are definitely better than stock?

• Pilate74

Posted December 28, 2008 - 12:48 PM

The I would say that the hubs are. I think the rims are as good as stock or somewhat better.

• Rd540

Posted December 28, 2008 - 04:10 PM

Post some pics. Gotta see those bad boys.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.