Is it ok to desmog without a rejet on XRL?

9 replies to this topic
  • Memnok

Posted April 09, 2008 - 04:55 PM

I will be doing both, but I want to get a head start and get the desmog done now. I think I read that you only need to rejet with a new pipe, or air box mod. I only ask because I need the bike to ride to work in the AM. I’ll be ordering the jets in the near future.

• RipperFox

Posted April 09, 2008 - 05:07 PM

Smogification only injects air in to the exhaust to finish burning air/fuel gasses that didnt burn in the cylinder. thus the "pop" on deceleration.
It does not effect the air/fuel ratio going to the intake.

But consider this, the bike is lean from the factory. Designed lean to pass emissions standards. So in the opinion of most people you will talk to on hear, you already need to rejet from day one.

So to answer your question. No you dont have to because of the DeSmogificaiton. But you should because your bike is lean already, If thats ok with you Martin?

• Memnok

Posted April 09, 2008 - 05:09 PM

So to answer your question. No you dont have to because of the DeSmogificaiton. But you should because your bike is lean already

Thanks, I have come to the same conclusion from reading this forum. I will be ordiering the jets (tonight I hope).

• martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:24 PM

You'll be ok with doing the smog removal for now.

• Memnok

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:21 PM

And one last pre-install question... Do you need to use a gasket material with the smog block off plate?

http://www.4strokes....smog/pic12.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:23 PM

A light coat is ok. Mine didnt come with gaskets... Then again its been three years since.

• Memnok

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:31 PM

A light coat is ok. Mine didnt come with gaskets... Then again its been three years since.

Thanks! Mine did not come with any gaskets either, and there is no mention of gaskets in the instructions, but I was not sure if I should run out and buy some or not.

• martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:32 PM

Thanks! Mine did not come with any gaskets either, and there is no mention of gaskets in the instructions, but I was not sure if I should run out and buy some or not.

I dont remember doing any of that. I beleive I just bolted the plates up. From that pic you linked, it looks like there is a copper gasket. Just look closely when you pull it apart.

• Purcell69

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:18 AM

My kit did not come with gaskets and I installed the plates dry. I did not see any gasket material in the smog tubes when I removed them, so I figured I was okay. It's been almost 1,500 miles since I desmogged and I have not seen any indication of a leak. If you don't have any gasket material, you're probably still ok.

-Joe

• Memnok

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:18 AM

I dont remember doing any of that. I beleive I just bolted the plates up. From that pic you linked, it looks like there is a copper gasket. Just look closely when you pull it apart.

My kit did not come with gaskets and I installed the plates dry. I did not see any gasket material in the smog tubes when I removed them, so I figured I was okay. It's been almost 1,500 miles since I desmogged and I have not seen any indication of a leak. If you don't have any gasket material, you're probably still ok.

I looked when I pulled it off and there was nothing, so I just bolted the plates on dry, same as factory. Seems to be working ok! :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.