How does the WR do in sand?


5 replies to this topic
  • dano7

Posted April 09, 2008 - 04:30 PM

#1

Hey Guys, I'm going down to the sand dunes to ride this weekend. I've ridden ATV's in the sand but never a bike. I have a 2000 WR400. How does it do in sand? Do I need a paddle or are the regular dirt tires sufficient? If I do need a paddle, do I also need a front mohawk or is the regular front tire ok?

Also, anything I need to know when taking the rear tire off? It looks like I can just remove the main bolt, remove the brake caliper and then take the chain off. Am I missing anything else? Thanks for any help you can give....sorry for the flurry of questions.

  • MaxPower

Posted April 09, 2008 - 04:35 PM

#2

[COLOR="Green"]do a search on crank case venting.
Have fun roosting[/COLOR]

  • redswr

Posted April 09, 2008 - 04:40 PM

#3

i LOVE bikes in the sand! both my 99 and 07 have seen a million (well almost) miles of the dunes. if your running a knobbie drop the pressure to 8 and 8, no need for a paddle unless you get serious about duning (i have a whole spare wheel and paddle...lol) i havn't modded anything on either bike because of the sand and have yet to have any problems. Have fun!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dano7

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:11 PM

#4

Thanks for the tips MaxPower and redswr.

  • DeeCee

Posted April 10, 2008 - 01:09 AM

#5

I run a 400 in sand on knobbies. Just keep the tyre pressure down 8-10 psi and you will do fine 99% of the time. Going to a paddle for the remaining 1% just isn't worth it.

I have routed my breather into the airbox, if you haven't done this I suggest you do (see threads in the forum on this - some good ones in the YZ forum)

  • Nostalgic

Posted April 12, 2008 - 01:25 PM

#6

I've run mine as is in the sand. She runs loose for sure but it's fun. Prefer dirt but the sand is fine too.




 
x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.