Valve adjustment walk through??

8 replies to this topic
  • RABBIDCOW55

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:07 PM

Hey guys, I just wanna say that this site is loaded with priceless info. All of the posts I read on here help everybody out, and I think it's amazing the way you guys help us newbies out. That being said, I have to adjust my valves because they are making way too much noise for my liking. I thought I found a walk through a while back, but could not find it today to save my life. Does any body know where it is? I know I'm gonna have to get the Honda manual anyway, but I'm waiting for my tax return to cover that. Oh, my bike is a 2000 XR650 R. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!!

• martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Here you go...
http://www.xr650r.us/tech/valves.pdf

Its easy and kinda fun to help out. Especially when work is dead!:thumbsup:

Rich

• Agent2

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:54 PM

You might allready know this but incase you don't, put a 45 degree bend about 3/4 of an inch from the end of your feeler gauges. Makes it a lot easier to get them in those tight spots. Also, wrap a little electical tape on one of the gauges, makes it easier to distinguish between the 2 so you don't get them mixed up in the heat of the valve adjusting battle.

• RABBIDCOW55

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the information and tips. It looks like the weather should be nice on Saturday, so I'll get it done then. Thanks again!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Martys

Posted April 15, 2008 - 02:19 PM

You can also check http://www.motopowervideo.com . Motopower makes DVD's that show how to check valves as well as many other maintenance tasks.

• Denn10

Posted April 15, 2008 - 02:33 PM

You might allready know this but incase you don't, put a 45 degree bend about 3/4 of an inch from the end of your feeler gauges. Makes it a lot easier to get them in those tight spots. Also, wrap a little electical tape on one of the gauges, makes it easier to distinguish between the 2 so you don't get them mixed up in the heat of the valve adjusting battle.

or just buy a set with the bends in them, i have both these with the 45* and straights also.

• Agent2

Posted April 15, 2008 - 02:45 PM

or just buy a set with the bends in them

OK - if you want to get technical...
Getting close to the big day buddy, you nervous? I am, keeping my fingers crossed.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 16, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Here you go...
http://www.xr650r.us/tech/valves.pdf

Its easy and kinda fun to help out. Especially when work is dead!:thumbsup:

Rich

Yuppers I will second that! :ride:

• RABBIDCOW55

Posted April 16, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Hey guys, Everything went well. It took me about 45 minutes from start to finish. Thanks for all of your help.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.