Dunlop 739 CHEAP

12 replies to this topic
  • angrybob

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:52 PM

My local Cycle Gear is blowing out Dunlop 739's for $65 per set. These are the standard compound. Its cheap enough that I bought first and asked later...

Soooo how do they hold up for desert (intermediate to hard terrain) riding? I can't imagine even if they aren't great that $65 per set isn't worth it. The store that has them is in Phoenix, AZ on Cave Creek Road. It's likely that all Cycle Gear stores have access to the same sale.

• gerbrony450

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:56 PM

i got the same set for my bike, ran them in a desert hare scramble this weekend and they worked great. The terrain was from sand to hard packed dirt and rocks, cant beat them for 65 I picked up 2 sets

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:01 PM

The 739 rear is "OK", but I'm sorry, the 739 front stinks except in the very hardest of hard terrain, and to me, it would be like buying a 739 rear for $65, because I would never use the front. :thumbsup:

• angrybob

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:23 PM

the 739 front stinks except in the very hardest of hard terrain, and to me, it would be like buying a 739 rear for $65, because I would never use the front. :thumbsup:

I've heard that too. I actually bought two rears to throw in the shed. I took your advice and went with the 952's and like them. I'm going through 2-3 rears per front at the moment.

The price was $30 for the front & $35 for the rear.

• xr-jorger

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:22 PM

every cycle gear has them on sale, I bought a set and like em fine

• the1_roadrunner

Posted April 11, 2008 - 11:26 AM

I'm also in Phoenix. I ride the foothills in and around Box Canyon. Lots of hard pack and rock. Bought a 739 rear 3 weeks ago. It was "not" on sale but was highly recommended by one of the sales guys at cycle gear. Well after only the second ride half the knobs on the tire are partially or completely torn off down to the base rubber. I'm not saying worn down, I'm saying torn right off. Okay, I do ride balls to the walls but I haven't torn knobs completely off tires since the 490YZ days. I think the harder compound on the 739 is more prone to break/tear rather than flex and wear away slowly. I will not buy another one. I got better wear out of the stock tire. It lasted 7-8 rides. My next rear will be another 756.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • angrybob

Posted April 11, 2008 - 05:03 PM

Damn. Thanks for the heads-up. Cycle Gear is not taking money, but rther just names at this point. I think I'll be backing out. I ride around the mile marker area of Lake Pleasant and its one of the worst areas for tire wear.

One of the best rear tires for durability that I have found is the Cheng Shin <ugh!> C755. They are cheap, but kind of hard to find.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 11, 2008 - 11:12 PM

I got there too late

They sell the front and rears separate...I though "hey $34.99 for a rear is a steal". I get there and some dude named "Mike" bought all 3 of the 110/100-18's and all they had left were the 110/90-19 :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have minded the 739 rear. The way these bikes eat up rear tires in dry conditions it wouldn't have bothered me smoking a $35 tire as much as spending $65+ tire

• AZFire450r

Posted May 17, 2008 - 05:33 PM

They are not my favorite for longevity but for 35 bucks a piece, I bought 3 rears today.

• Cadoewen

Posted May 18, 2008 - 05:21 PM

i just bought a couple sets but at the cycle gear up here its the 739 or the 742 for 27.99

• nap__kxf

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:50 PM

The 739 rear is "OK", but I'm sorry, the 739 front stinks except in the very hardest of hard terrain, and to me, it would be like buying a 739 rear for $65, because I would never use the front. :thumbsup:

aren't the 739 front what comes stock on the 06/07? if so that tire is useless in every terrain. making that tire is a waste of rubber to be honest :rolleyes:

• Family Man

Posted May 19, 2008 - 02:23 PM

Yeah the 739 front tire came stock on the 07, with a 756 in the rear.

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2008 - 02:41 PM

They came on the '06, too. I still have mine. I tried to use it for changing tires, but I couldn't stop it from sliding around on the floor too much. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.