Oh Man! Blue Smoke.........Need Assistance

6 replies to this topic
  • Dube2

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hey Guys, I just don't understand:excuseme: . I start my bike in the garage and she runs like Cr@p, blue smoke and wont idle very good. This happended a few weeks back, I took it to Ocotillo Wells anyway. She ran just fine at the desert but pretty bad back in the garage. Does this mean that it's running rich at my altitude and better at the desert? or does this mean that I need valve giuds replaced, etc?.......... Very wierd, this is the first for me. Up to this point she's been running like a charm. I never over rev it and ride kinda conservative (non aggressive) The wife will kill me as I just bought a new 08 and now the 05 needs work?.

FYI.......05 WR450

What are your suggestions?:thumbsup:

Dube2

• William1

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:45 PM

Blue Smoke - Oil

It is either rings or valves, probably rings.

• kskyles

Posted April 09, 2008 - 02:28 PM

+1 on the rings

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted April 09, 2008 - 03:00 PM

How many miles/hours does that thing have. What is the air filter maintenence schedule like?

• Dube2

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:40 AM

Less than 500 (conservative) hours, air filter service after each day ride, oil/filter after every three rides. The intake on carb side is allways spotless and I usaully clean out the airbox too.

If Rings? about how much should I pay? If it was a 2-smoke I do it myself. Just too many moving parts on the 4-stroke for me too handle.

• timoyz1

Posted April 10, 2008 - 10:45 AM

It is all basically easy. If you adjust your own valve then you can do your own rings. Get a manuel and go for it.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 10, 2008 - 02:44 PM

Less than 500 (conservative) hours, air filter service after each day ride, oil/filter after every three rides. The intake on carb side is allways spotless and I usaully clean out the airbox too.

If Rings? about how much should I pay? If it was a 2-smoke I do it myself. Just too many moving parts on the 4-stroke for me too handle.

Is that an estimate? Alot of people overestimate the hourage of their bikes.:thumbsup: If its per an hour meter :ride: :ride:

500 hours at a 20 MPH ave (mixed trail type riding) is 10,000 miles.

500 hours at 40 mph (dez type situation: conservative estimate) is 20,000 miles :confused:

Shit, I'd say its probably time for a piston as well as rings. Check the play in the crank and con rod. If it were my bike I'd be looking replacing the timing chain too. You'd better hope the sprocket on the crank that drives that chain isn't worn down because then you'd have to replace the crank too.

Most likely a piston and rings will get her running right :thumbsup: It is a Yamaha after all:worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.