How hard is it to change a rear tire?

22 replies to this topic
  • jonr3

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Since I'm going through rear tires pretty fast on my L - and I'm getting sick of paying the stealership to mount the new ones - how hard would it be to mount them myself?

Is there any tool(s) I can buy to make it easier and maybe to balance them?

Thanks!

• hatterasman

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:55 AM

not that hard.... a couple of tire irons and some beers. I too was concerned but no dealers around out on the outer banks. So tried and found out I will never bring it in for that fix. I am sure some one on here that has changed over a hundred or more can give you a secret or 2.

• cleonard

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:59 AM

I don't think that it is too hard to change tires, but it does take practice and certain level of technique. It usually only takes me about 15 minutes. There are several good write ups here.

As far as tools go I just use a couple of 12 inch tire irons. I like the thinner Motion pro ones. If you want real easy there is a tire changing device from Harbor Freight that many like for this job. I can do it well enough with just irons and I want to be able to quickly fix a flat on the trail.

• xrmarty

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:01 AM

Practice and experience makes it alot easier. I strongly suggest getting a tire changing stand like this one
http://www.mikesraci...eb_site_002.htm Or build yourself something similar. Also get at least 3 tire irons and watch some videos. There are few good tire changing vidoes circuling around. Also, some tires are harder than others to install. Maxxis Desert IT for example are notoriously difficult because of super stiff side walls. Dunlop 756 are pretty easy IMO. Also pick a warm sunny day so the rubber is softer. It makes a huge difference whether you do it on a warm day or a cold morning, especially if are just learning how to do it.

• Denn10

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:12 AM

i also use the motion pro irons (too bad i cant find em anymore) and a little help if your in the warmer/sunny times put your new tire out in the sun on both sides to warm the rubber. Lucky for me when its 100 it really helps out. Put a little air in the tube when you first put it in the tire, just enough to make it round and not flat out of the box. This helps prevent pinching. I just use some soapy water for the lubing part and it works fine for me. Get some good irons and get r done!!

• ogrider650

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:13 AM

it also depends on the tires. i tend to have a harder time with the maxxis tires and tend to drink a bit more when changing those lol. bit also look at a bead buddy and remember the baby powder!

• xrmarty

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:19 AM

check youtube for vidoes. There are tons of them. I'm only a little faster than this guy.

this one is also really good

• 06crf_er

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Changing tires is fun. Especially when you get to laugh at all of your buds who continue to spend a rediculous amount to have someone else do it. It's also really satisfying to know that you can do your won whenever and wherever you need to.

Here's a great vid:

Part 1:
http://www.transworl...2236&typeID=660

Part 2:
http://www.transworl...2237&typeID=660

Part 3:
http://www.transworl...2238&typeID=660

I also suggest three SPOON TYPE tire irons. Motion Pro makes some great ones. Also, Rocky Mountain and Motosport carry a longer (I think 17") sppon type iron that gives a lot of leverage and makes life much easier. A bead buddy helps also and acts as an extra hand:thumbsup: Do everything in the Transworld Vid and you'll be set:thumbsup:

• 06crf_er

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:25 AM

Here's another TWMX vid with Jay Clark from Dunlop

http://www.transworl...2010&typeID=660

• got_u_sick

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:30 AM

I can't seem to do it without pinching the tube and putting a hole in it. I changed a tire one day on my old CR80R and took the tube in and out until I had about 5 holes in it. Any tips on tube placement??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted April 09, 2008 - 10:31 AM

I've done a many a change and teh worst by far was a recent Pirrelli MT-21 that had been on the back of a XL250, really deep bead on the sidewall and it was stubborn!!!!! but I won, patience, good irons and review the video's and read up on the process, work it off a bit at a time and same going on. I like to use turtle wax tire shine as a lubricant, just ez on it not too much! I also install my tubes flat outta the box into the tire casing and then pull the stem through, I prelube the tubes with the tire shine btw. Never pinched one yet. Also always install a new rim strip, cheap insurance and protects that tube from the spokes.

• martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 11:41 AM

I ditch the rubber strap and roll 4 layers of duct tape the same width as the strap and then cut the valve/lock holes.

• COAL RUN

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:01 PM

The more you change the easer they get. I use a 5 gal. bucket for a "changing stand" (2) tire irons & 50/50 dish soap / water for lubing the tire bead.

• jonr3

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:14 PM

Thanks! It looks pretty do-able. I just hate giving them $40 for a tire change every time.:thumbsup: :ride:

I like the 5 gallon bucket idea instead of spending $140 for a good-looking, neon green or purple tire stand.:confused:

Do ya have any suggestions on how I can balance it?:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Heres a good thread.
http://www.thumperta...ht=tire balance

• rtcmichael

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:56 PM

I use a 5 gallon bucket as well, baby power and some cheep tire irons. I think the hardest part is getting an old tire off and that's about it. I do use a little tool to pull the valve stem thru and it has a stem core remover as well.

One trick to not pinching the tube is to insert it when the tires half on, inflate it and then pull the stem core and leave it out until the tire is all the way back on. You can also put your fingers in with the irons and make sure there is no tube at that tip, you only need to put the irons in far enough to grab the bead or the rim. Going to far will pinch the tube.

• Denn10

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:58 PM

I can't seem to do it without pinching the tube and putting a hole in it. I changed a tire one day on my old CR80R and took the tube in and out until I had about 5 holes in it. Any tips on tube placement??

yeah put a little air in the tube so it gets round, just enough so its not flat like it comes out of the box. and good irons!!

• desert4seat

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:08 PM

Fortunately for us, these bikes (XRL) have the tendency to take us extremely far from the safety of our garage’s and local shops/dealerships. IMO, knowing how to change a tube is more important than knowing how to change a sparkplug – and it gives you the added confidence to go even further out into oblivion!

- never give up (I’ve ruined countless tubes before getting it right)
- Practice patching the tubes you ruined (that's an art as well)!!
- Try not to rely on anything you wont have when your riding, use just the tools you carry in your pack.
- I carry 1- 16” pro motion curved iron (the best IMO), and 1- any brand 16” straight iron, talcum powder for the tube (keeps the tube movable when in the tire), soapy water, compressed CO2 tool, spare front tube (will work in rear), and a tube patch kit
- Research all the tips and tricks out there on the inter-web (some are very helpful).
- Never have a shop do your tire changes again!
- Practice!
- Next, get all the tools and practice chain repair (even more confidence)!

Good luck young Skywalker!

• riding4life162

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:55 PM

Its pretty easy dude, I just did my first yesterday. i used 3 tire irons, soap and water,(more soap than awater for me), on my garage floor, no special tools required. It was pretty simple, However I practiced with my old D.I.D rim and inner tube bout 4 times before i used he new excel rim and new tube. Like the guys above said use lots of soap and water, and be sure to wash it off good before mounting back on bike.

As far as balancing it I didnt even do it, i figure I dont really need to balance them if I aint gonna be going too fast.

• COAL RUN

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:47 AM

I have never seen the need to balance a dirt bike tire & never had any that felt out of round while connecting trails or the occaisnal commute to work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.