03 YZ450 with 13.5 Jetting Issues

4 replies to this topic
  • OUCR250R

Posted April 09, 2008 - 04:47 AM

I just got done doing a complete rebuild on my bike. I replaced the crank, cylinder, head, valves, springs, retainers, and cams (yamaha oem). I also installed a wiseco 13.5:1 piston in search of more power. The carb has never been apart and is completely stock save for a msr fuel screw. My question is does anyone have any good jetting setup tips or a good baseline to start from? My bike seems to be running incredibly lean. I haven't ridden it yet, only started it a few times to heat cycle it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

-Paul

• OUCR250R

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Even anyone with a setup similar to mine would be helpful. Or at least a hint as to what changes I will need to make. I am assuming I will need to richen up the main, but I am not sure about the pilot. Any help would be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:48 AM

Why do you say it's lean?

• OUCR250R

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:56 AM

Because it is backfiring really hard when I let off the throttle, and typically shoots a 3-4" flame out the exhaust when it does this. I have tried adjusting my fuel screw, but have had no luck getting the backfire to go away.

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:17 AM

Check the exhaust system for air leaks first. If you are convinced that there are none, then go up a step on the pilot jet.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.