xr650r idling problems. and then some

1 reply to this topic
  • GPSmATT

Posted April 09, 2008 - 01:00 AM

so the story goes like this i picked up a 00 xr650r looks like a pretty clean bike top end just got replaced. the previous owner son crashed the bike and it wouldn't start after that compression was low so he got the top end done on it it ran but it wouldn't idle one shop messed with it didn't really get anywhere then another shop said it needed a new carb so they put a mikuni 40mm pumper on it the bike runs great pulls harder then my 450x but it just wont idle and it pops real bad on deceleration. we pulled it back apart to make sure the timing was right and it was the other shop that put the carb on didn't really get any where with it either any ideas would be greatly appreciated don't really know much about my BRP!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • porterdog

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:31 AM

Popping on decel can mean a lean idle circuit; crappy idling is consistent with that. You need to get a manual for your exact carb and then try messing with the idle circuit adjustment screw (assuming there is one). You may need a different pilot jet, but the way to find that out is by messing with the adjustment screw.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.