Stupid Question.....sorry in advance

4 replies to this topic

Posted April 08, 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hey guys, So i know how to rebuild an engine top to bottom, do anything under the hood of a car, but have a simple, dumb question :thumbsup: . So I went to check my oil today in my 00 650r, and was pretty danged shocked. First off, I don't think I have the right dip stick (maybe 9 Inches long), and I sort of remember some other way of checking engine oil other than while the bike is off. The reason is I added a full quart of oil today and I just changed it 3 days ago. It doesn't smoke or leak it anywhere I can see. Can anybody help me out with this silly question? Thanks guys.

• philipstjohn

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:55 PM

I guess you do not have a manual? How much oil did you use with the oil change, and did the filter go in correctly? The manual states 1.7 qts with a filter change, but it seems to be a little more for most. Also, when checking the oil, the engine must be warm, and at idle for a minute or so. If you are over, drain any excess oil to avoid any damage. Welcome to TT! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBA

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:58 PM

RabbidCow that is the correct dipstick. Theres another thread on this forum that is a debate on how much oil goes in the XRR. Welcome to the BRP room!!

Posted April 08, 2008 - 08:30 PM

If it sets overnight, the oil drains down into the engine. If you check the oil at that time it will appaear to be nonexistant :thumbsup: . you will get exited & add a quart. wrong move:foul: . The engine needs to run several minutes to pump the oil back up into the frame. check it after a ride is best :thumbsup: .

Posted April 08, 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hey thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I did the filter change, everything went fine, and I threw in a little less than 2 quarts. I'll give it a run around for a bit when it gets warm again and see what the stick says. Thanks again guys.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.