Leaking Oil on '07 450

5 replies to this topic
  • jcolborn48

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:05 PM

I got finished with my ride yesterday, and noticed the left side of my bike was oil splattered, my tire looked like only the left side was armor alled, and my buddy who was behind me front fender and number plate was splattered with oil. However, there is no oil leaking out of the engine, could it have been coming out of the overflow tube (or whatever it is called). I slid out and layed my bike down, could that have anything to do with it? I checked my oil today, and the level is fine. Any thoughts? :thumbsup:

• William1

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:44 PM

Well, it came from somewhere. If your oil level is fine then???

When you layed it down, you may of had a little oil end up in the breather tube, which subsequently was expelled on your buddies bike and yours.

Clean both bikes, go for a ride. If no more signs of leakage, then that is what it was.

• 426 NOOB

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:59 PM

If I had to guess, it was chain lube. When I ride my whole left side of the bike is coated in it. An easy way to tell is if its under the rear fender, and smell the oil. You will be able to smell if its chain lube or oil. Just my 2 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:08 AM

If I had to guess, it was chain lube. When I ride my whole left side of the bike is coated in it. An easy way to tell is if its under the rear fender, and smell the oil. You will be able to smell if its chain lube or oil. Just my 2 cents.

Was thinking the same,
You would only get that much out the breather if it was grossly overfilled, like maybe 1.5 litres instead of 1.

• jcolborn48

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, I ws going to clean everything up and take it for a ride and see if it happens again. Thanks for the input fellas.

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:01 AM

The '06 and later models, unlike the '03-'05, have NO room for extra oil, and any significant overfill at all can cause oil to be expelled from the breather. This occurs when the additional oil is returned to the tank, but finds no room there. That in turn causes oil to be forced out of the tank through the pressure balance tube (right side of the bike) back to the crankcase, where it raises the oil level higher than the level at which it is intended to operate.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.