YZ in the woods

6 replies to this topic
  • Windseeker

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:13 PM

So - after the first couple of rides in the woods here are the first impressions of a someone fresh off the WR forum (been with the WRs since 2000).

1) Wow.

2) For someone like myself - not so fast and competitive the bling nice pipe is a waste of money. Four of us tested back to back 4 YZs - 08 with Yoshi, 08 YZ standard, 07 YZ with Acropovic and 07 standard on a twisty 400 meter uphill in the trees with some stones, some mud, roots (07 bikes each had around 100 hours). There and back 4 times. We are no professional testers of course but noticed no difference in the power on 4 bikes on that section. We noticed how hi or low the bikes were, different handlebar setup, damper, front forks' work, but nope - no pipe. Maybe its just us.

3) This is a ligtweight of a bike - the 12 kg of difference actually feels like 40! the bike is so light and easy to ride you get really surprised how easy you pass sections that got you out of wind on WR. You get tired less, ride longer section and do it laughing...

4) Did I say easy to ride? Some easier sections actually so easy they become boring! We found ourselves looking for twisitier, wetter sections, ascends etc - anything to get you up and working.... The bike does half of the work for you!

5) Front suspencion is actually half of the fun. It just carries you through and over anything that made good old WRs stumble jump and shake. Maybe its just coincidence but we noticed we have not yet had any front puncture on YZs! Normally its 4 or 5 of us on any given ride and someone on a WR would have a front flat every other ride.... I dont know...

6) Negatives. Hmmm - let me think.... No lights - hmmm - we do not get stuck and return early - and have the helmet lights... No button - hmmmm - YZ starts really easy (only in neutral though - tough to kick it in gear) Water crossings - have not experienced yet - but we all have breathers up there as a must and will test this in couple of coming spring events. Small tanks - two of us have larger IMS tanks so on one occasion they acted as refuellers for 2 other bikes at a 5 km-to-base mark...

7) And we have not yet increased the rear sprockets or flywheels that is supposed to increase the rideability in the woods....

8) Does this sound biased and prejudiced? Yes it does and I wish I keep this opinion as these rides brought new fun in riding the good old trails.

:thumbsup:

PS - hmm - on a sadder note - seems that your ass gets more beating with YZ though :confused: but not everyone will consider this a negative factor.... :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Viva YZ!

• kain522

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:42 PM

SDG makes a seat that has an extra inch of foam in it. It's a little softer and makes it easier to switch from a sitting to standing position. I think you'd like it.

• Windseeker

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:06 PM

SDG makes a seat that has an extra inch of foam in it. It's a little softer and makes it easier to switch from a sitting to standing position. I think you'd like it.

Nah - not a short guy like me :thumbsup: thanks anyway... I ve been thinking of ways to lower it actually :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pilfer8

Posted April 11, 2008 - 10:09 PM

Nice bike. :thumbsup:

• salasmauricio

Posted April 12, 2008 - 06:49 AM

I use to ride a 2007 WR450F, now I have a 08 YZ450F, been riding it for the last 6 months, I'll never go back, this is the best bike ever

• RJB

Posted April 14, 2008 - 04:49 AM

I use to ride a 2007 WR450F, now I have a 08 YZ450F, been riding it for the last 6 months, I'll never go back, this is the best bike ever

Went from 02 YZ426 to a shiny new 07 WR450 and back to an 08 YZ450. Gotta say I still prefer the YZ above the WR any day. No speed demon either, just enjoy a good trail ride and having fun. Never did get comfortable on the WR...

Windseeker - where are you in Russia? Sahkalin?

• Windseeker

Posted April 14, 2008 - 05:17 PM

Went from 02 YZ426 to a shiny new 07 WR450 and back to an 08 YZ450. Gotta say I still prefer the YZ above the WR any day. No speed demon either, just enjoy a good trail ride and having fun. Never did get comfortable on the WR...

Windseeker - where are you in Russia? Sahkalin?

Not far from there - Vladivostok - southern coast next to Chinese border...:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.