leaking forks, easy fix

15 replies to this topic
  • erickdj

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:56 AM

I have a 4 month old 08 yz450f, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the forks were leaking oil. It seemed strange to me that it would be leaking, since the bike has only been used about 4 times, most of it for trail riding, not even any major track usage. I did get on a track with it a couple of times, but didn't do any huge jumping with it or anything like that. Anyway, I didn't think it should have been leaking with such small amounts of usage. So I decided to do the 35mm film cleaning treatment to it, and it worked!:thumbsup: :confused: . I cleaned everything real good before and after the 35mm film treatment, took the bike for a ride the next day and there were no more leaks!.:thumbsup: I was already getting used to the idea of paying some shop to change the seals, but that 35mm film really saved me some $$$. So, the next time the seals start leaking I'll pull out the 35mm film and save some more $$$.:ride: :ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 08, 2008 - 11:07 AM

All OEM seals for 06-08 yamis leak. The design is made for constant maintenence. Most will pull down the dust cover to clean all dirt that builds up and several do it your way. I decided that I am tired of servicing fork seals every ride so I have installed Synergy Seals on my 06 and have not had any further leaks at all and they seem to self clean as there has been no dirt. Thanks to Doug Harvey - suspension guru in Fl for suggesting and selling me these, they are now the only seals that I will use on my 06:thumbsup:

• endurodog

Posted April 08, 2008 - 11:11 AM

I have suggested the cleaning for leaking fork seals for sometime now. I put a lot of hours on a bike and since I started cleaning them in 2001 I have only replaced 2 sets of fork seals on my bikes.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2008 - 11:13 AM

The '04 YZ450 seals are very similar to the Synergy item in that they have a double oil lip and an aggressive outward facing dirt exclusion lip. That's what I use. Had one leak once, but the film trick cured it, and it hasn't leaked again for the last 6 months so far.

• erickdj

Posted April 08, 2008 - 11:44 AM

The '04 YZ450 seals are very similar to the Synergy item in that they have a double oil lip and an aggressive outward facing dirt exclusion lip. That's what I use. Had one leak once, but the film trick cured it, and it hasn't leaked again for the last 6 months so far.

do those seals fit the 06-08 yz's or the 07 wr's?

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:43 PM

do those seals fit the 06-08 yz's or the 07 wr's?

Yes..

• hillclimbguy

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the tip. I had problems with leaky seals on my sons 450 as well as my 450. I put on those fork leg seal savers and havent had a problem since I install them.
But they do seam to wear. The lower fork guard does rub on them and they are starting to wear on the inner side.
I'll try 04 seals if my seals start to leak any time soon. Thanks

• Ga426owner

Posted April 09, 2008 - 04:50 AM

Synergy seals are different for 04 and 06-08 I believe. 46/47mm vs 48mm for 06-08

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUCR250R

Posted April 09, 2008 - 04:54 AM

Synergy seals are different for 04 and 06-08 I believe. 46/47mm vs 48mm for 06-08

Negative, the 04 forks are 48MM also. 04 was the first year of the 48MM though.

• Kasjok

Posted April 09, 2008 - 05:34 AM

I thought the diameter of the fork stock increased in 2006 with the arrival of TC s. Guess I was wrong.

Does this 35mm film trick mean that you slide the film between fork seal and then move it around there?

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:09 AM

I thought the diameter of the fork stock increased in 2006 with the arrival of TC s.

Nope. 48mm from '04 on, and '05 was the first twin chamber KYB. The change in '06, other than the improved internals, was the tubes are 2mm farther apart.

Does this 35mm film trick mean that you slide the film between fork seal and then move it around there?

Yes.

• rooster wrooster

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:00 PM

I checked out the synergy website because I might get a set for my '06. They mentioned a set a "pre-wipers" that come with the seals. Do you think these actually improve the performance of the seals?

http://www.synergyseals.com/

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:15 PM

I would guess that it would. Dirt is what causes a good 80% of leaking seals at least, I'd say. I'll bet they're more ten bucks each, though.

• Coastie3202

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:39 PM

I just ordered some Seal Savers. Do you think this will cut down on the leaky seal frequency?

• todds924

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:11 PM

I thought the diameter of the fork stock increased in 2006 with the arrival of TC s. Guess I was wrong.

yes, just make sure your bike is on a stand with no weight on the front wheel before you do it.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 10, 2008 - 04:29 AM

I checked out the synergy website because I might get a set for my '06. They mentioned a set a "pre-wipers" that come with the seals. Do you think these actually improve the performance of the seals?

http://www.synergyseals.com/

Doug Harvey "ShockDoc" has these complete kits for sale for around 40.00. These are the last seals that I will use on my 48mm forks. Pm him for info

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.