took my 400 to a hare scramble

8 replies to this topic
  • yamazuki10

Posted April 08, 2008 - 09:45 AM

i took my recently purchased WR 400 to a hare scramble this past weekend(my first ever). I was just wondering if anyone else has used a wr 400 or bigger in a hare scramble, I know I did'nt see any out of the 200+ bikes(a ton of 2 stroke ktms). It seemed to big and heavy for the tight stuff, was great in the open stuff when it got to stretch it's legs. Electric start would have been a blessing, oh and BTW I'M SORE AS HELL!:thumbsup:

• foots

Posted April 08, 2008 - 12:34 PM

I've raced my DRZ440 in hare Scrambles if that counts. Haven't took the 2 week old 99 WR out yet.

• MaxPower

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:11 PM

[COLOR="Green"]Im surprized how everyone says the big bikes are tough in the tight stuff. I think they are easier to ride than the smaller displacement bikes. Just put it in gear and aim between the trees.
[/COLOR]

• bbolton

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:16 PM

i took my recently purchased WR 400 to a hare scramble this past weekend(my first ever). I was just wondering if anyone else has used a wr 400 or bigger in a hare scramble, I know I did'nt see any out of the 200+ bikes(a ton of 2 stroke ktms). It seemed to big and heavy for the tight stuff, was great in the open stuff when it got to stretch it's legs. Electric start would have been a blessing, oh and BTW I'M SORE AS HELL!:thumbsup:

Raced The KTM 07 450 XC at the Laughlin Nv. Hare Scrambles & took 1st place in the open am class #953 That bike ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Captain Bob

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:55 PM

I have had to really gear down my 99 WR400 for tight New England single track. It is a heavy bike but can do the job. Not sure how competitive it will be against todays newer and lighter bikes in hare scambles. I think I would prefer riding my other bike (2 smoker) in Hare Scrambles.

• C-P

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:02 PM

I did a couple HS with my 98 WR400 last year (my first)...it's not really stock, previous owner did flywheel weight, jd jetting, FMF, pro-action suspension, etc. But it's still heavy as hell!

The bike is really top heavy for some of the stuff, but getting that thing through a couple races taught me a LOT...I've come out way faster than I was before, and I've learned to work with the bike. In any case, the tractor power will save your bee-hind in many situations. Great way to learn, and if you can move up to a newer bike sometime, you'll be glad you paid your dues on the iron horse!

• DeeCee

Posted April 10, 2008 - 01:17 AM

I took my 400 on a Baja last Friday. The circuit was quite tight and technical. The bike weight, handling, power etc was not the issue, it was the rider fitness (me).

Before anyone says their modern bike (even as old as '98) has any shortcomings they need to first consider how well they are riding it. In my case my capabilities are well short of the bike's.

I guess I am leaving myself wide open for some flak here but this needs to be said.

• yamazuki10

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:44 AM

I took my 400 on a Baja last Friday. The circuit was quite tight and technical. The bike weight, handling, power etc was not the issue, it was the rider fitness (me).

Before anyone says their modern bike (even as old as '98) has any shortcomings they need to first consider how well they are riding it. In my case my capabilities are well short of the bike's.

I guess I am leaving myself wide open for some flak here but this needs to be said.

my thoughts exactly, my bike is way more capable than me

• fundgh

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:18 AM

I think people get a little short sighted when comparing bikes for different purposes. Just think 15 years ago, people were doing more spectacular stuff on far inferior equipment. It is kind of like the weight issue. People can put tons of effort into reducing the weight of their bike 4-5 lbs, but still get on it with 10-20 lbs of beer belly! Its all relative, but rider improvement goes much further than bike improvement (especially at the lower levels). Put any of the big boys on a KLR, and they could still spank me on the most dialed factory bike!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.