where to buy black wheels cheap?

22 replies to this topic
  • oceanjake

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:54 PM

I'm looking to buy a complete wheel set for an 00 426. I want to update the bike with black wheels, black swing arm, etc. Being that the whole bike is worth 2k I really can't justify 1k for shiny new excels. Where can I find black wheels for as little as possible? Thanks for the help.

• todds924

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:35 PM

If your just looking to replace the rims themselves i would recommend the Moose rims. Best quality and good price. If your looking for complete wheel sets i would recommend the DNA sets. I have seen them for around 500 a set.

• oceanjake

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:20 AM

I'd definitely want complete wheel sets. DNA's would be great, but I haven't seen them for less than 800 or so. Does anyone know of a specific site or dealer I can call to order these? I've already looked at the TT store and I only saw excel wheels.

• nickeenoo

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:51 AM

If you're just looking for black and don't need new wheels why not get them powder coated?

Nate

• Racer808

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:28 AM

The only problem with powder coating is you have to remove the spokes and tire yourself or you going to pay a shop prob 50 bucks a wheel to remove and relace. I got quotes on powder coating and it was about 160-200 a wheel for the rim and the hub. But once powder coat gets a chip it starts chipping all over

• AlkalineOne

Posted April 08, 2008 - 12:21 PM

Warp 9 offers some pretty cheap wheel complete with sprocket and break rotor. i know the rear wheel goes for $350...

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:50 PM

Warp 9 offers some pretty cheap wheel

In that case, you get what you pay for, too.

• rdjohnson55

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:55 PM

The Warp9 are a good set of rims. I think JAT has run them in Baja and they held up well. If you just want to change out the rims get the Pro Wheels. Seach on the site for Warp9...

• BRYANS01

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:41 PM

EBAY....There is a nice set of black rims with blue hubs right now for 450.00

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:41 PM

My buddy just got some black DNA rims for $399 ea. (normally $450)
Not an amazing price, but good for a new, complete rim...
Came laced with thick spokes, hub, bearings...just no rim lock or band...
Can't vouge for the quality, but they look sweet...
DNA Specialty Inc.
1415 W. 178th St. Gardena CA, 90248
Tel: (310) 767 - 4070
Fax: (310) 767 - 4091
World Wide Toll: (800) 608 - 4446
e-mail: info@trydna.com
web: http://www.trydna.com
Posted Image
this is him...if he trusts them to withstand this type of stuff, I don't think most of us have to worry...
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MacJammer

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:56 PM

Rocky Mtn. has Warp 9's in black for $399 so far mine our holding up but only run the blacks in the sand. My buddy runs warp 9's everywhere and they are holding up but they don't feel near as strong as excel

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted April 08, 2008 - 06:59 PM

Three of my friends have been running Warp 9 complete wheel setup as their spare with a paddle on it for the dunes. All three have loose and broken spokes, and or mounting tabs for there discs. My opinion is once again you get what you pay for. All three of these bikes don't see to much air time either, we are all getting a little to old to huck anything to big.

• oceanjake

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:16 PM

those wheels on ebay would have been perfect for me. I was watching them and JUST missed the close. I was installing some parts on the bike and lost track of time. I'm pretty bummed about it. Any additional sources for wheels like those would be appreciated. $800 for wheels (plus the cost of mounting tires to them) doesn't compute for a $2000 bike. Plus I just finished tricking out my streetbike so I'm not really ready to plunge into major expenses on the dirtbike immediately either.

• DTYZ426

Posted April 08, 2008 - 08:17 PM

Don't waste your time with all those discount wheel shops. Check this guy out http://wheellacing.c...polishing_.html scroll down to the racer package for details.

He is the best in the business, a true Pro race quality wheel builder. Torco Fuels Honda team uses his wheelsets, Windham, Grant, Canard, Weimer etc..

Cheap sucks, and you usually get what you pay for :thumbsup:

• BRYANS01

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:28 PM

look at there ebay store they always have them for sale just wait for the blem wheels all they are is slight color diff. on the hubs but really who cares

• todds924

Posted April 10, 2008 - 03:34 PM

In that case, you get what you pay for, too.

You could say that again. I have personally seen Warp 9's trashed very easily. Also the build quality is bad. I laced a pair for a customer and when i went to true the wheels the runout where the rims are welded together, <the seam> was very bad.

• MacJammer

Posted April 10, 2008 - 05:56 PM

Black wheels on a tight budget. You really don't have many options. Keep your eye on ebay religiously and you may be able to scrounge something up but not likely with out damage. Just a note if you don't own a warp 9 don't hate on them. Wheels can last if you maintain them. How about running the right tire and pressure for your terrain and tightening the spokes on a regular basis. My point is there are a lot of factors including neglect that can give wheel brands a bad rep. I can screw up an excel just as fast as a warp 9 if I run my tire at 8psi in the rocks and never check the spokes.

• BRYANS01

Posted April 10, 2008 - 07:28 PM

here this is the same company they always have these this is another set just for you:thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• todds924

Posted April 10, 2008 - 09:16 PM

Black wheels on a tight budget. You really don't have many options. Keep your eye on ebay religiously and you may be able to scrounge something up but not likely with out damage. Just a note if you don't own a warp 9 don't hate on them. Wheels can last if you maintain them. How about running the right tire and pressure for your terrain and tightening the spokes on a regular basis. My point is there are a lot of factors including neglect that can give wheel brands a bad rep. I can screw up an excel just as fast as a warp 9 if I run my tire at 8psi in the rocks and never check the spokes.

Look at the build quality between an Excel and a warp 9. It's not even close. Especially where the seam is.....And i have personally seen them crack there. You are correct about wheels lasting with proper maintenance....starting with a better quality wheel helps though. I have seen the Moose brand rims hold up extremely well and they are priced right.

• TapptOut

Posted April 14, 2008 - 11:38 AM

I got my SET (DNA) for 550.00 from TX motorsports black with blue hubs looks so sick. I posted them on here a while ago...

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.