New to the game

5 replies to this topic
  • glin60

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:09 PM

Just picked up this 1994 XR 650L...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I knew I wanted a dual sport and these seemed pretty gnarly. From what I'd heard they're dead nuts reliable too. So I picked this one up locally (SLC) for $1800. So far, only had it on the roads (only had it a week) and cant wait to hit some of the trails up in the mountains. Any suggestions on tires? I'm looking for something that doesnt suck off road, but won't kill me on the highway on the way to work.

Of course, other suggestions about the bike as well! Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I figure these are referred to as Big (color) Pigs as a result of their size and heft... I reckon this one is a Big White Pig?

• martinfan30

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:49 PM

Just picked up this 1994 XR 650L...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I knew I wanted a dual sport and these seemed pretty gnarly. From what I'd heard they're dead nuts reliable too. So I picked this one up locally (SLC) for $1800. So far, only had it on the roads (only had it a week) and cant wait to hit some of the trails up in the mountains. Any suggestions on tires? I'm looking for something that doesnt suck off road, but won't kill me on the highway on the way to work.

Of course, other suggestions about the bike as well! Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I figure these are referred to as Big (color) Pigs as a result of their size and heft... I reckon this one is a Big White Pig?

Welcome to TT! Nice L, those years had a nice color scheme. Tires are tough to recomend. How much dirt/street will you ride? The best DOT tire IMO is the Pirelli MT21. You might get 700-800 useable miles out of the rear. A little more from the front.

Looks like its ALL stock. You need to remove the smog/air pump, probably rejet and do some exhaust. Regearing helps a bunch too.

• coalt45

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:51 PM

looks like a nice bike. Have fun with it and welcome

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonr3

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:55 AM

I'm running Dunlop D606s front and rear. They hook up pretty well and are fine on the road below 65 mph (although a little noisy). Above 65, they shimmy quite a bit, (a steering damper cured that). I put about 1500 miles on the rear before it was toast, but the front still looks great.

Get rid of the smog, do Dave's carb mods or DynoJet kit, and add an aftermarket slip-on muffler and it will be a whole new bike!:thumbsup:

Link to Dave's Mods:
http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

• glin60

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:15 AM

Thanks for the info guys! Cant wait to ditch the smog equip, it looks like it places a burden, I can imagine it runs better with all that crap gone, especially when cold.

As for usage, because I plan on riding it to work every day, and hitting the trails when I get a chance, I'm thinking a 50/50 tire would be useful, if there is such a thing. I hear the stock tires are underwhelming off road, anyone have experience otherwise?

• martinfan30

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the info guys! Cant wait to ditch the smog equip, it looks like it places a burden, I can imagine it runs better with all that crap gone, especially when cold.

As for usage, because I plan on riding it to work every day, and hitting the trails when I get a chance, I'm thinking a 50/50 tire would be useful, if there is such a thing. I hear the stock tires are underwhelming off road, anyone have experience otherwise?

Ditch 'em! D606's or MT21's are good onroad and better off. They wont last as long on the street as the stock ones.

Take a look at these...
http://www.klr650.co...Sport Tires.htm
IF you can find them, they are supposed to be be a top notch 50/50.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.