650R Light Bulb Options

10 replies to this topic
  • Agent2

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:58 PM

What are my options for replacement bulbs using the stock stator? Not intending to do 80 M.P.H. night time runs but I would like a headlight that actually shines a little light on the ground. Gracias.

• Desertskyy

Posted April 08, 2008 - 09:12 AM

an option for a head light-light bulb is to buy an A-3603 bulb. This bulb is a 25 watt double filament bulb. All you need to do is run a bead of solder between the two post at the base of the bulb, then place it in the head light socket. No need to change out the head light it is the same style as the stocker and is now 50 watts. I have done this for awhile and it works very well with no problem and is brighter than the 35watt stock bulb. I think a 2 pk of bulbs cost me $3.95 It has yet to burn out. If one filament lets go you still have a 25 watt light to get you home.

Good luck

• Agent2

Posted April 08, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Like the fool that I am, I posted before searching, found a thread on headlight options. Desertskyy, your modification sounds interesting, think I will give it a try, Thank you.

• bigtooth

Posted April 08, 2008 - 09:52 AM

I just installed an H3 bulb in mine last night, much brighter, might end up melting the plastic lens though...

• cleonard

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:09 AM

I just installed an H3 bulb in mine last night, much brighter, might end up melting the plastic lens though...

The 55 watt H3 bulb is the easiest way to more light. Next is a better headlight assembly. A headlight that uses a H4 is best. That's closer to $100. The H3 is only $5 to $10 and giver 3 times the light or more. At 55 watts it should not melt the plastic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:10 AM

I ordered the glass lense and upgraded bulb(can't remember the size) from Baja Designs. I think it was about $50.

This was a nice upgrade but still just enough to get back to camp at night.

• husky123

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:21 PM

Where can one get that H3 light?

• cleonard

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:36 PM

Where can one get that H3 light?

Just about anywhere that sells car headlight bulbs. H3's are the ones that are normally used in automptive fog and driving lights.

It takes a few mods to get them to fit and connect. They only have one wire and the ground is through the base of the bulb. You have to solder on a wire or do something for the ground if I remember correctly. It does take a little work to get it working. Not a drop in replacement.

• BWB63

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:41 PM

Agent2 ------ I didn't get back to you if your suspension was any better or worse on the ride Saturday..........I wish we could have spent some time dialing it in. What was the outcome?

• Agent2

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Bruce - it definately was better. With my back being tweaked I was trying to take it easy, so probably not able to get the full effect of the suspension changes. Going back out in a couple of weeks, hopefully in better condition, and able to do some higher speed fun runs. Thanks again :thumbsup: , hopefully we can hook up again in the future and discuss fork and shock mods over a couple of cool ones.

• husky123

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:13 PM

Just about anywhere that sells car headlight bulbs. H3's are the ones that are normally used in automptive fog and driving lights.

It takes a few mods to get them to fit and connect. They only have one wire and the ground is through the base of the bulb. You have to solder on a wire or do something for the ground if I remember correctly. It does take a little work to get it working. Not a drop in replacement.

Cool...thanks cleonard!:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.