"shock savers" while transporting...

29 replies to this topic
  • N2Roost

Posted April 08, 2008 - 09:58 PM

football under the front fender between the forks... Seems to keep the bike more stable and reduces having to really crank the tie-downs as much.

That's a crack up!!

Dirt bike ingenuity right there. You'd fit right in with desert racers!!

• Dp2boy

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:18 AM

A year or so ago Motocross Action Magazine had a letter asking about this same thing. The editor responded by saying if the suspension can take a hit from the landing off a 40 ft. double then it can certainly take an hour or two of being lightly compressed in the back of your truck. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:05 AM

If it can take 12 miles of whoops in the desert at 45 mph, it can stand being bottomed out in my truck for a week, or transported down any dirt road in a bike shoe, either one. The comparisons pale, I'm afraid.

• almostinvincible119

Posted April 09, 2008 - 02:31 PM

you can use the straps to cut all side to side motion....but I have not had any bearing issues using these. I have been using them since 1998.

ever since i started using them, ive had 3 bearing problems. i only run 8lbs of air in my tires, Michelin MS3's (super stiff sidewall) but maybe i should try to air them up before i fasten the bike in. cause the tire actually soaks up the movement.

• Pilfer8

Posted April 09, 2008 - 02:43 PM

I use a 2x4. I feel it helps with the bounce and is easier to sinch down. Besides, it looks better than a saggy ol' deflated POS in the back of a pick up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted April 09, 2008 - 05:32 PM

i have one from UFO. works great, keeps the bikes locked into my pickup bed, quick and easy to put into and out of wheel, best 10 bucks i ever spent

• maximus400

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:12 PM

my buddy was preaching to me how I needed to use one because it is easier on your forks, blaaa,blaa; and so on, I finished cinching my bike down and said I'd see him in the morning. He used his fork saver alright which cost him dearly, he pulled the tie down super tight and it broke half way home, his bike landed on I-5 at 60 mph slid down the ditch thankfully, really tore his bike up. I think I'll keep on tying my bike down the same way I have for the last 20 years, I haven't had any issues as of yet.

• USED YZ426F

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:18 AM

He used his fork saver alright which cost him dearly, he pulled the tie down super tight and it broke half way home, his bike landed on I-5 at 60 mph

I don't see how using a fork saver would cause the tie down strap to brake.

If the straps are damaged or weak to begin with, they are going to break regardless of how you tie your bike down.

• Justin89

Posted April 10, 2008 - 07:03 AM

I use them...just for some piece of mind and I can tighten the straps as tight as I want without feeling guilty. Just my 2cents

• KAS

Posted April 10, 2008 - 07:51 AM

If you guys are that worried about cinching down the tie downs too tight, a better alternative (though more expensive) would be to buy or make one of those rails that goes across the front of the truck bed that have spots to park the front tire in. They keep the tire from moving from side to side, and you hardly have to tighten your tie downs.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.