Adding grease fittings - yea or nay??

13 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted April 07, 2008 - 05:37 PM

I noticed on the rear suspension link on my 07 "L", there are just two bumps where others have reported two grease fittings. Would it be a bad idea to drill and install two grease fittings there WHILE IT'S STILL MOUNTED ON THE BIKE? Too much of a chance of damaging the bearings? Your thoughts?

• scalejockey

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:20 PM

If you like to wash your bike a lot or ride where it's wet i think it's a great idea!(If done right..)

OOps i just read again.."While it's on the bike"..humm,not good.

• brantc

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:49 PM

I noticed on the rear suspension link on my 07 "L", there are just two bumps where others have reported two grease fittings. Would it be a bad idea to drill and install two grease fittings there WHILE IT'S STILL MOUNTED ON THE BIKE? Too much of a chance of damaging the bearings? Your thoughts?

You must disassemble and install them.

There would be too many metal shaving's in there from the drilling and the tapping....

• Bibleman

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:15 AM

OK, that's pretty much what I figured, although I was hoping to hear something else:cry:

• ghrati ghoti

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:11 AM

I thought about doing that too, but if I recall, the bearing cages have to be removed. Let us know if you do do it, take lots of pics!

• Kenzo

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:11 AM

hummmm...my 2001 has four grease fittings (zerks) on the suspension :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

• ghrati ghoti

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:18 AM

hummmm...my 2001 has four grease fittings (zerks) on the suspension :thumbsup:

My 04 only has one one the tube the swingarm bolt goes through. Like Denn said, there are flats on the dog bone where they would be.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kenzo

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:07 AM

My 04 only has one one the tube the swingarm bolt goes through. Like Denn said, there are flats on the dog bone where they would be.

double checked my 2001...one on upper swingarm tube, one where the shock arm pivots topside, one the lower front dogbone and one lower rear dogbone...even the Clymer Manual shows four :thumbsup:

P.S. maybe urs has an aftermarket lowering link installed?

P.S.S. do the make lowering & raising links for the XRL???

i've got raising links on my other Piggy(KLR)...nice addition if seat height is not an issue.

• cleonard

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:14 AM

double checked my 2001...one on upper swingarm tube, one where the shock arm pivots topside, one the lower front dogbone and one lower rear dogbone...even the Clymer Manual shows four :thumbsup:

P.S. maybe urs has an aftermarket lowering link installed?

P.S.S. do the make lowering & raising links for the XRL???

i've got raising links on my other Piggy(KLR)...nice addition if seat height is not an issue.

Never heard of a raising link for an L. There are lowering links.

From my experience the place that grease fittings are needed the most are on the dogbone. I have seen three different bikes where those were toast. Including my bike right now.

• martinfan30

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Some years have them, some dont. My 05 only has one on the swing arm, and my dads 01 has them all over the place.

We are both the orig owners.

• Denn10

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:39 AM

SO yours is definitely not been drilled and tapped for a zerk fitting? maybe one broke off flush???? I would install them, without them most people are too lazy to take everything apart as often as they really need to and lube the bearings before they go dry and rust up so having the fitting sticking out staring at ya will prolly help you out in the long run keeping your bearings greased up.

• Bibleman

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hi Denn, my dogbone definitely does not, nor did it ever have grease fittings. I haven't checked the upper shock mount as someone mentioned. Other than that, just one on the swingarm. I don't think I'll take it apart now, since riding weather is finally here, I'll take it apart, inspect, lube and install fittings next winter.:thumbsup:

• Captain Midnight

Posted April 11, 2008 - 04:46 PM

It is worth while. It will take only about an hour. Also install them in the wheel hubs and brake pedal. Use Marine waterproof grease.

• martinfan30

Posted April 12, 2008 - 07:40 AM

It is worth while. It will take only about an hour. Also install them in the wheel hubs and brake pedal. Use Marine waterproof grease.

Where on the hubs did you install? Have any pics?

Thanks.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.