'06 yz450f miss / backfire

11 replies to this topic
  • maximus128

Posted April 07, 2008 - 05:33 PM

Ok, help me out guys. I have a completely stock '06 yz450f that has a bad miss with backfire at about 1/4 throttle. I have cleaned the carb, thinking it had a dirty slow jet but still it's doing it. Is it possible that a burnt valve is the cause? Is the timing off?

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:38 PM

Did it use to run well? What's changed?

Could be a bad TPS. Try it with the TPS unplugged once.

• Yamaman2007

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:46 PM

is it cold out?? could be lean

• kirk_12

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:52 PM

have you had the bike apart any??..if so it could be out one degree or half a degree.

• maximus128

Posted April 08, 2008 - 06:39 PM

The weather has been on the cool side but the spark plug doesn't indicate being lean. I did check the valve clearances but I've never had the motor apart.
I bought the bike 2 months ago and I've heard that it isn't odd to hear them pop and crack some. It didn't concern me until I was practicing starts and it was very noticeable missing with fire coming out of the silencer.
I'll try the unpluging of the TPS. Then I'll be back tommorrow with results and more questions. Thanks alot fellers!

• maximus128

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:06 PM

unplugging the TPS didn't work. Is it possible that the hot start could cause this? A guy from work ask if I checked that. Thanks for the help guys.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:18 PM

The hot start could do that, yes.

• todds924

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:16 PM

unplugging the TPS didn't work. Is it possible that the hot start could cause this? A guy from work ask if I checked that. Thanks for the help guys.

Where do you have the fuel screw set?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 10, 2008 - 04:16 AM

Here are 3 things that are suspect:
Fuel Screw - buy a adjustable fuel screw to set this correctly -probably is not set correctly - ZipTy has these
Hot Start plunger - may be sticking in carb, moisture comes in from plastic nut on carb replace with Alum nut from ZipTy
Jetting is off - Also I suggest replacing the stock needle with newer NFLR you can get from any dealer.

• gdbarr1976

Posted April 10, 2008 - 06:18 AM

I had a similiar problem and tried all the usual stuff. Cleaned the carb etc. I have another 06 so I started swapping parts. I would never have guessed it but the black box was the problem.

• YZ450 Desert Rat

Posted April 12, 2008 - 10:22 PM

i was told by some guys at my local shop that the 06's had issues with backfiring/popping due to jetting. it was happening with mine on decel. i changed the slow speed jet and it went away.

• Thomas_Potter

Posted April 19, 2008 - 10:46 AM

My '06 did the same as well as all kinds of backfiring upon chopped throttle compression braking and starting issues when hot - right off the bat. Had to take it back and they rejetted. Smooth as a babys bottom end ever since..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.