'09 Rumors

35 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted April 14, 2008 - 04:20 PM

What about frame geometry? And did they lengthen the swing arm?I heard in Europe they are 1"longer.Are you guys running the rear axle far back in the swing arm? I hav't done it yet need to put a link back in the chain.Is it a good improvment? Until they make the Yami turn like a Suzuki I will stick with my 06.Oh what do you guys think of this.My buddy asks me if he can use my truck [and me] to pick up a dinning room set.So he takes me to some guys house and this guy is selling everything in the house.It turns out that the house and its contents were left to him from his brother that recently took a dirt nap.Now his crackhead brother is having a blowout sale! And what did I find in the basement? A mint[like brand new] 1986 YZ490 the crack head tells me that his bro rode it once in a field and I believe it.You would have to see it.Now I need this thing like a hole in the head but He told me I can take it for$1200 think I should grab it?

• KJ790

Posted April 14, 2008 - 05:43 PM

60 horses? mmmmm... that sounds good. Are there any production bikes that get close to that figure, or are we talking about the bikes factory riders get to ride?

You can get a 60 HP 450, but it will cost you a lot. Ron Hamp has built a few CRF450's over 60 horse. He was having trouble breaking the 60 mark with the YZ450F, but he finally did do it. His work is expensive, but from what I hear, it is well worth it.

• kain522

Posted April 14, 2008 - 05:52 PM

What about frame geometry? And did they lengthen the swing arm?I heard in Europe they are 1"longer.Are you guys running the rear axle far back in the swing arm? I hav't done it yet need to put a link back in the chain.Is it a good improvment? Until they make the Yami turn like a Suzuki I will stick with my 06.Oh what do you guys think of this.My buddy asks me if he can use my truck [and me] to pick up a dinning room set.So he takes me to some guys house and this guy is selling everything in the house.It turns out that the house and its contents were left to him from his brother that recently took a dirt nap.Now his crackhead brother is having a blowout sale! And what did I find in the basement? A mint[like brand new] 1986 YZ490 the crack head tells me that his bro rode it once in a field and I believe it.You would have to see it.Now I need this thing like a hole in the head but He told me I can take it for$1200 think I should grab it?

HELL YES !!!!! Just make sure there's a bill of sale or some kind of paper work.

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2008 - 06:43 PM

60 horses? mmmmm... that sounds good. Are there any production bikes that get close to that figure, or are we talking about the bikes factory riders get to ride?

At over 60, we're talking about flat track and supermoto engines. In fact, more flat track than supermoto. I frankly don't think the factory MX bikes are at quite that level, because there's virtually nowhere to put that kind of power down on an MX course, and the energy that goes into managing that is better spent on keeping the corner speed up. It's like the trouble you and I have with say, an '04 YZ450 vs. the '06 or '07 engine. We can go faster more easily on what seems a slower engine at times.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see the good pro outdoor bikes at around 55 hp.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted April 15, 2008 - 07:00 PM

HELL YES !!!!! Just make sure there's a bill of sale or some kind of paper work.

HA HA I grabed it today after work...and I jewed him to $900![I mean talked him down:busted:] I took it down my street and let her rip.It goes! not much bottom but a hell of a midrange! Looks a little dated beside my other bikes lol but its mint.My wife was'nt very impressed ....and I am going to converse with her later on the matter[yeh right]

• kain522

Posted April 16, 2008 - 09:16 AM

HA HA I grabed it today after work...and I jewed him to $900![I mean talked him down:busted:] I took it down my street and let her rip.It goes! not much bottom but a hell of a midrange! Looks a little dated beside my other bikes lol but its mint.My wife was'nt very impressed ....and I am going to converse with her later on the matter[yeh right]

Thought you'd like it! Don't know what to say about the wife though. My only advice is never take advice from the divorced guy! Enjoy the bike.

• steve_97060

Posted April 16, 2008 - 03:12 PM

that's a hell of a deal... i raced one of those for a bit in the A class back in 86... could just destroy a berm... :thumbsup:

• wolfie12

Posted April 16, 2008 - 07:06 PM

60 horses? mmmmm... that sounds good. Are there any production bikes that get close to that figure,

There used to be...and no one could hold onto them. And I bet 90% of the guys who ride YZ450s can't even use all the power they produce stock......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZERIK

Posted April 16, 2008 - 10:02 PM

you gotta have skills to back up a 450 bro. no offence.

• YZERIK

Posted April 16, 2008 - 10:09 PM

There used to be...and no one could hold onto them. And I bet 90% of the guys who ride YZ450s can't even use all the power they produce stock......

true that, I`m 6'6" and 325 lbs, with an 03 YZ450. it will have me looking at the sky in any gear, and if im not careful a broken back fender as well.

one time i hit 3rd and the throttle stuck open. im man enough to admit i was scared the next weekend, all bandaged up..

needless to say it pulled like nothing ive ever ridden or most likely will, however i can appreciate that it pulled the front wheel up until i went off the back.. .i couldnt walk for a week, my foot was the size of a soccer ball, i couldnt move my arm, and my pride was demolished......better than it not wheelieing and sending me into the trees i guess.

• DPW

Posted April 17, 2008 - 04:39 AM

so what happened to all the 350 talk....which I'm strongly against?

• kyle450rider

Posted April 17, 2008 - 09:18 AM

I sure hope that they don't go to 350's. I like having grunt to double out after tight corners. I just don't see a smaller displacement bike being torquey enought to handle my fat but.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 17, 2008 - 11:48 AM

so what happened to all the 350 talk....which I'm strongly against?

hopefully it all went with Steve Whitlock, where ever he went....AWAY! :thumbsup:

• The Italian Stallion

Posted April 18, 2008 - 05:58 PM

that's a hell of a deal... i raced one of those for a bit in the A class back in 86... could just destroy a berm... :thumbsup:

Yeah I think so to. I was on the fence at first about buying it since I was planning on getting a 06 or up YZ250T to put in the stable with my other bikes I am very impressed with them and want to get one before there obsolete.I had CR500s back in the 80s 83480,85,87 and 91 that was my favorate era.I loved the open bikes...so I had no choice but to rescue that 490 from the ill fate of being sold for crack! and now the old vibrating beast is in a loving home where it belongs.I am goin in the garage to crack open a beer and stare at for a while:cheers:

• The Italian Stallion

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:19 PM

hopefully it all went with Steve Whitlock, where ever he went....AWAY! :thumbsup:

I look at it the same way Jody from MXA looks at it.I would like to have one,but not at the expence of dumping the 450.If Yamaha or whoever made a 350 it would kill 450 and 250f sales.But would they sell more units over time? I don't think so.How come KTM can get away with this senareo?

• yzfjbw323

Posted April 20, 2008 - 01:33 PM

How about posting some pics of the old air cooled, vibrating beast.
I had a 86 YZ490 and hated it. Now I would love to have it back. The freakin thing vibrated so bad that one time it actually broke a motor mount.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.