XR650L Rotors, Sprockets and Chain...

14 replies to this topic
  • XR_Aaron

Posted April 07, 2008 - 12:23 PM

It's time for some new rotors, sprockets and a chain, and the dealer gave me a quote of $900 + tax :thumbsup: There's no way I'm paying that much so I'll be looking for non oem parts. I did a quick search buy didn't find exactly what I'm looking for... so here are the questions:

Rotors

-I've seen the Galfer wave rotors on ebay but I've heard the front doesn't fit. Has this been corrected or are they still misleading us with the auctions?

-can I find stock rotors anywhere for less than dealers?

-does anyone have experience with the EBC rotors? They are by far the cheapest. Would I need a caliper relocation to run these?

Sprockets and Chain

- are the ebay "combo kits" of decent quality?

-If I do buy a chain separately, what type do you recommend?

I think my best bet will be ordering the ebc rotors and buying the sprocket and chains separately all through rocky mountain. They seem to have the best prices, but at the same time, it kinda worries me. Thanks in advance to any help...

• cleonard

Posted April 07, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Just go RockyMountain. I have their house brand rotors, pads, and chain/sprocket kit. Working good so far. Might be $250 or so. That's sure a lot better than $900.

Go with the RM X-ring chain. Don't get the O-ring as it is kind of wimpy.

Half the cost of anything else. The RM chain combos are cheaper than the no name stuff on ebay.

On your very first ride the brakes will not have seated yet. Braking action is reduced. After a one ride break in, the brakes went back to normal.

Buy everything at once. Save on those shipping charges. If you are paranoid of someone stealing your stuff when it is sitting on your doorstep, request signature delivery. You can also request that the parts not be left, then you can go to the shipper and pick your stuff up in person.

• XR_Aaron

Posted April 07, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the quick response! I think I will just get everything from rocky mountain. I think I just needed a second opinion before I ordered from them. I also just got a clymer manual and should be able to install everything on my own and save some $ that way

edit: the ebc rotors aren't oversized are they? are they a direct fit (no caliper relocating)?

• sharktaco

Posted April 07, 2008 - 01:01 PM

I bought one of the front Galfer rotors on eBay after hearing that they didn’t fit and guess what! They didn’t. I don’t know if the eBay sellers have changed them but I told them it was the wrong front rotor when I returned it.

Galfer front rotor part # DF017 will NOT fit. It shows to be correct in the Galfer catalog but it wont fit the XR650L. You want part #DF004W for the NX650. I have them on my pig. See my garage.

• lifeinthesouth

Posted April 07, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Sharktaco, thanks for the info... i'll be getting the Galfer tomorrow after bending my front this weekend
Good lookin' bike... set-up similar to how mine will be later this week!

• Rockjockey

Posted April 07, 2008 - 02:27 PM

The TT store has a 110% low price guarantee so get your beat advertised price and they will beat it. I just ordered the oversized (320mm) front EBC with the caliper relocation bracket for 148.99. When you get 150 worth from TT the shipping is free. EBC is good quality stuff.

• XR_Aaron

Posted April 07, 2008 - 03:01 PM

Thanks everyone. If I can find everything I need from thumpertalk store, I will definately order from there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_Aaron

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:27 PM

The TT store has a 110% low price guarantee so get your beat advertised price and they will beat it. I just ordered the oversized (320mm) front EBC with the caliper relocation bracket for 148.99. When you get 150 worth from TT the shipping is free. EBC is good quality stuff.

Would you happen to have a part number for the oversized rotor? I couldn't find it in the TT store catalogue.

Also, to everyone: I'm a little worried now about what else I'll be needing to replace. I bought the bike with about 35000km and was told the engine was rebuilt at 30000km. Once I get the rotors and sprockets/chain dealt with, what else is going to fail? At what point will I need to rebuild the suspension, get new bearings, etc... ??

• cleonard

Posted April 08, 2008 - 02:39 PM

If it's working well now I say ride it. For now. It's got to be the start of your riding season and you want to ride.

Make plans for next winter. 35,000 kms is a lot. This would be a good start
  • Wheel bearings front and rear. Not very expensive and not too hard to do.
  • Steering head bearings. Inspect and re-grease or replace depending on condition.
  • Swingarm and linkage. Same treatment as the Steering head bearings.
  • Shock bushings. Check and replace if too worn. These need moly paste. Get it at a Honda dealer.
  • Since it will be all apart this is the time to do suspension work. At a minimum replace the fork fluid. Depending on what you want and can afford you can go with new springs or send them in for re-valving.

I try and do these every two or three years.

• XR_Aaron

Posted April 08, 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks again for the help cleonard. I've been browsing around the x-ring chains... Anyone know the difference between the Parts Canada 520 SOX and the 520 SO? I think it'll be between either of those or an EK 520SRX. Anyone used one of those?

• cleonard

Posted April 08, 2008 - 08:10 PM

Thanks again for the help cleonard. I've been browsing around the x-ring chains... Anyone know the difference between the Parts Canada 520 SOX and the 520 SO? I think it'll be between either of those or an EK 520SRX. Anyone used one of those?

I would guess that the X indicates X-ring type chain. That would make SO just O-ring. Never tried any of those though.

• Rockjockey

Posted April 09, 2008 - 03:35 AM

Would you happen to have a part number for the oversized rotor? I couldn't find it in the TT store catalogue

It is part number PU_17110259

I clicked the offroad link then manufacturers link and was looking at Motomaster oversized rotors and it was at the bottom of that page.

• XR_Aaron

Posted May 11, 2008 - 04:38 PM

Thanks again everyone for the help. I ended up getting regular size ebc rotors, and everything else from the TT store. One more noob question though:

The old rotors are so shot that a lip remains around the outside of the rotor where the pads don't contact the disc. The problem is that I cannot get the rotor out because the brake pads catch on the lip of the rotor. I understand that the caliper pistons gradually squeeze closer to the rotor as the pads wear, but how do I return them back so that I can remove the rotor? I have a clymer manual that is usually pretty useful but all it says is "use hands to push piston back into caliper body" or something like that. Can anyone clarify?

• RipperFox

Posted May 11, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Posted Image

Put your fingers on the rotor, your thumbs oun the back of the caliper (the circle on the back where the brake line goes in) This is the back of the piston cylinder. And squeeze. The caliper will move toward the rotor as the piston slides back into the piston cylinder.

Front works same way...just has two pistons.

• Denn10

Posted May 11, 2008 - 07:34 PM

ive looked so much and never found any oversized for the L, been on several sites and the one you said ROCK still doesnt show up for me?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.