Makin' it legal

5 replies to this topic
  • kain522

Posted April 07, 2008 - 12:00 PM

I have an 04 YZ450 that I need to get USFS legal. I also hope to race the old guys class a few times this year. would it be better to get the FMF Q4, or the Powercore with the quiet insert? Any opinions please.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:57 AM

How strict are your state's rules on sound? You could probably save coin and just buy a PMB or similar sparky end cap unless you just really want the slip-on. The Q4 will probably cause a small loss of power, but probably not enough to really notice. If your state has strict sound rules, I would get the quiet pipe of your choice that you can get a good deal on. Leo Vince makes nice quiet pipes that do a good job of not robbing power.

• KillerHiller

Posted April 08, 2008 - 06:07 AM

Any feedback on the FMF Q2?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kain522

Posted April 08, 2008 - 08:08 AM

How strict are your state's rules on sound? You could probably save coin and just buy a PMB or similar sparky end cap unless you just really want the slip-on. The Q4 will probably cause a small loss of power, but probably not enough to really notice. If your state has strict sound rules, I would get the quiet pipe of your choice that you can get a good deal on. Leo Vince makes nice quiet pipes that do a good job of not robbing power.

There's talk of the state setting up a sound test in my main riding area. This has come from several sources, so there is good reason to believe it. The bike has the stock exhaust right now, and it is getting a little ratty. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's repackable. Anyway, I thought it would be better to go with something I know is legal, and be able to ride and not worry about it.

• 133_Bradley

Posted April 08, 2008 - 03:02 PM

I got a 04 YZ450F with a Yoshimura trc slip on. It comes with a spark arrestor and it tested 95 decibles with it in. It is removeable if you want.

• kain522

Posted April 08, 2008 - 03:18 PM

I got a 04 YZ450F with a Yoshimura trc slip on. It comes with a spark arrestor and it tested 95 decibles with it in. It is removeable if you want.

Thanks for the tip. Did it change the performance at all?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.