Respring a YZ450 or not? (last post from me on this topic)

No replies to this topic
  • TBone_Boston

Posted April 07, 2008 - 10:52 AM

Cross post from suspension

It's a 2007 yz450 and I have been reading a lot of posts looking for some direction on suspension mods. I have also tried some spring weight calculators and now I'm totally confused.

My local Yamaha dealer works with Pro Action and they said that based on my characteristics (41 yrs, novice (but improving) 5'10" 205 lbs without gear...that I should be able to use the stock springs (which are apparently .48/5.5) and then have it revalved. Some others here have suggested the same. I'm fine with that because it saves me $200!

However I also read that stockers are for guys around 170 pounds and that its a 'must' to respring to .49/5.6 (or possibly even 5.7 on the rear). Based on how the bike compresses when I sit on it I tend to think it needs heavier springs - but I certainly don't think I know more than the pro action guys.

Appreciate any feedback to help me make up my mind.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.