What is the most knowledgeable advise you got here

36 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted November 11, 2002 - 12:35 PM

I am carrying this over from the 426 forum, just trying to get some flow

Link to the 426 forum on Best technical advise and by who

• tk421

Posted November 11, 2002 - 01:27 PM

Jetting advice from the Jetting God’s: Taffy & James Dean.

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted November 11, 2002 - 03:30 PM

I can second that. Jetting info is tops on my list.
Mobil 1 Red Cap oil is probably second on the list.

• hockeylife

Posted November 12, 2002 - 06:51 AM

As a newbie, the free mods are great. As I just changed the oil, Mobil 1 I might add, being prepared for the gush of oil out of the frame was a definite saver.

• Guy

Posted November 12, 2002 - 09:36 AM

:cool:Mr Taffy and his Taffy mod and ALL his help with the jetting
cheers mate !

• dominator426

Posted November 12, 2002 - 09:53 AM

For me, it was the reply to my very 1st post asking about the BK mod. I got an answer within half an hour from the Swiss "Missile". He also told me about the SEARCH and I got all the instructions and used Motoman393's clear pics and extra info. I was able to do the BK mod before my new WR426 was ever started!
I got much more usefull info and a few laughs! :) It's great to be connected to the amazing international family of WR owners and thumper enthusiasts, as they are quite rare way up here in the great white north...

• Fryboy

Posted November 12, 2002 - 01:23 PM

I learned not if... but when.... I get man boobies I can tape them to limit the amount of chaffing I experience.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 12, 2002 - 02:09 PM

Fryboy, i think you may need to see somebody about your problems. :)

Posted November 12, 2002 - 03:43 PM

Fryboy theres always the MAN-BRA :)
I learned how to like my 4-stroke!!! Coming from 2-smoke land it wasnt easy. I will never go back :D

• Snapper

Posted November 12, 2002 - 06:49 PM

I think CISCO's comment is right:

how to like my 4 stroke, after fouling, coughing, farting and rooting me around I got the fancy pants thing dialed in and a lot of help inlcuding jetting and free mods came from this site - it nearly got sold.

my mates still all ride CR500's so it's nice to be able to ask:

Fuel Screw quick adjuster
BK Mod (coming)
Exhaust mod's

JD/Hick/Taffy/Motoman ....etc etc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sylvain

Posted November 12, 2002 - 10:55 PM

Everything is useful. :D
Because of all the infos I found here, I decided to go with a big blue bike :D. Also I've learned how reliable and fun it can be. I had my last dirt bike for 22 years, I still have my 1976 BMW 100/7 I used for my honeymoon trip, and I'm still married .( Yes dear I love you too). So you see, I try to make decisions that will stand time, and so far so good :). (I know we don't know the future.) The only thing I see coming is , what will be the reactions of my kids when I'll do an eight figure in the mud holes at 70 years old for warm up before my turn on the MX track !!!:D

Regards to all :D :D

There so much knowledge here that all you have to do is ask. If it's been done, we'll be directed. And if it's new, we'll have an answer in no time.

Thanks to all

• Fryboy

Posted November 13, 2002 - 04:20 AM

I believe it is called the "bro" :)

• Bamster

Posted November 13, 2002 - 04:33 AM

I thought it was the Manzier

• lewichris

Posted November 13, 2002 - 06:33 AM

using timeserts for stripped out cases where the oil pan drain bolt is supposed to go.

• dp400

Posted November 13, 2002 - 07:22 AM

For me it would have to be how to set my valves correctly! If any of you have ever owned a KTM you know there manuals are a complete joke. Look up adjust valves in the PRO MANUAL and it says "ADJUST VALVES". :) Lots of great jetting info as well!

• jwriott

Posted November 13, 2002 - 07:27 AM

So far, to switch from a WR Seat/Tank combo to a YZ Seat/Tank setup. Stefe999 let me ride his bike after we met through the site and went riding for a day.

Also, that I know very little about this particular bike. You guys amaze me daily on your modifications and willingness to help make these things run right.

Thanks for the huge database of information.

• sabin

Posted November 13, 2002 - 07:32 AM

is there any place where I can buy this timesets online?

• '00_in_Calgary

Posted November 13, 2002 - 11:07 AM

How to 'T' the air vent off the carb. Without this I would still be in that damn river kicking the crap out of this blue beast.

• dieseld

Posted November 13, 2002 - 12:39 PM

When I first got this 400 it was my first thumper, and after riding YZ250's for years I was not real impressed. Then I stumbled across the newly formed Thumpertalk, and got many ideas on how to improve the bike from a veteran on the list named Clark Mason. It was Clark that started most of the jetting ideas and then Taffy and JD came on board a while later and ran with it. So my top list would be:

- jetting
- YZ timing
- octopus removal

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me turn this bike into something that I will never sell.

• freestyle111

Posted November 13, 2002 - 12:50 PM

search the net "timeserts" i must worn you there exspensive

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.